Pioneer DEH 80PRS vs Pioneer DEX-P99RS

Why So Cereal?
5,000+ posts

Invisible Cereal
I'm planning to get one of the new Pioneer single din active, T/A, dual L-R EQ Hu's //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif and these are the 2 prospects. I know the P99 is the better unit, but do u guys think its worth like triple the price of the DEH 80 PRS? From what I can tell from quick overview is the that the P99 will let me do a 3 way front + sub or 2 way front, rear, and sub...as opposed to the 80 PRS which only does 2 way front + sub. The P99 also has 31 band L R EQ and the 80PRS has 16 band L R EQ.

Both have T/A.....

what do you guys think I should go for? Goal is SQ obviously and will be going active more than likely.

DEH-80PRS - &#60b&#62NEW!&#60/b&#62 - CD Receiver with 3-Way Active Crossover Network, Auto EQ, and Auto Time Alignment | Pioneer Electronics USA

or

DEX-P99RS - Reference Series CD Tuner with Digital DSP and USB Port with Digital Direct Signal Transmission | Pioneer Electronics USA

cliffs in bold

my HU... lawlz
lol I really was about to pull the trigger on one of those Alpine HUs but a guy over on DIYMA, who was selling a 9887, put me on to the Pioneer ones and that L-R EQ just took the cake for me. I've always wanted that feature anyway. Plus, I've always loved Pio HU's; never tried an Alpine.

The P99 is worth it if you have the cash but unless you are gunna do a very pricey install as well I wouldn't say it's worth it... Dead head, copper chassis, 32bit processor per side, much better built then the cheap pioneers these days, looks 1000 times better as well...

i will be getting the 80prs. in fact - i cant wait until it is available. as far as the 99rs goes i dont think id ever spend that much on a headunit but i bet its incredible.

really depends on how much u value flexibility and tuning capabilities. personally id just pick up the new h800 from alpine and mount the controller in the overhead console. actually wanting to do this but i need to work on my install more to make it worth the upgrade. i like the now prs80 80prs whatever it is and it would work well or me. plus it works with android phones which the p99rs doesnt yet

really depends on how much u value flexibility and tuning capabilities. personally id just pick up the new h800 from alpine and mount the controller in the overhead console. actually wanting to do this but i need to work on my install more to make it worth the upgrade. i like the now prs80 80prs whatever it is and it would work well or me. plus it works with android phones which the p99rs doesnt yet
I had already checked out that Alpine h800. Seems like a nice piece but, I"m thinking for that much, I might as well just get a MS-8, or used Bit One. I really was trying to avoid adding too many things down the "chain" too. Thats why I'd love to have a HU that has all of the tuning capabilities I think I'm with u on the 80 working fine for me, but I know my biggest problem with my system has always been my lack of ability to tune...so I'm wondering if I should just go all out and get the p99 or what... lol I'll never use my Droid on it anyway. I dont even use my iPod on my stuff now. Strictly CDs

I had already checked out that Alpine h800. Seems like a nice piece but, I"m thinking for that much, I might as well just get a MS-8, or used Bit One. I really was trying to avoid adding too many things down the "chain" too. Thats why I'd love to have a HU that has all of the tuning capabilities I think I'm with u on the 80 working fine for me, but I know my biggest problem with my system has always been my lack of ability to tune...so I'm wondering if I should just go all out and get the p99 or what... lol I'll never use my Droid on it anyway. I dont even use my iPod on my stuff now. Strictly CDs
personally id get the 80 and add a nice high quality eq to it. a good trunk eq will give u even more tuning and ive never had a problem with added distortion on good eq's like ppi this would be cheaper but its still adding down the line

Link to the alpine?

If you go that route get the MS8 they have been talked about a lot on DIY and most people choose them over there Bitones

personally id get the 80 and add a nice high quality eq to it. a good trunk eq will give u even more tuning and ive never had a problem with added distortion on good eq's like ppi this would be cheaper but its still adding down the line
Well, the 80 has separate 16 band EQs for left and right sides. So, if I do go with it, I doubt I'll add another one. I'm assuming / hoping it has an "overall" EQ as well for tonality purposes....

Link to the alpine?

If you go that route get the MS8 they have been talked about a lot on DIY and most people choose them over there Bitones
Yea' date=' if i go that way, the ms8 is my first choice. My only beef with it, is that it does it all for u and doesnt tell u what it did or let u tweak it. So, if u dont like the way it sounds....tough ti[i']t[/i]ty! With the Pioneer HU's the 80 or the P99, they do auto EQ and Auto T/A, but they let u tweak from there as well to get it spot on.

Yea, if i go that way, the ms8 is my first choice. My only beef with it, is that it does it all for u and doesnt tell u what it did or let u tweak it. So, if u dont like the way it sounds....tough titty! With the Pioneer HU's the 80 or the P99, they do auto EQ and Auto T/A, but they let u tweak from there as well to get it spot on.
True but one of the reviews I read a guy had been tweaking his audison for a year and with in 10 minutes the MS8 had it sounding way better to his ears so I doubt youll be disappointed...

I do not think you will need an external EQ with either, but that is all opinion. I never use EQs, and some always use EQs. As for the decks, the 99 is leagues ahead of the 80, but I will be the first to say, I am getting an 80 when it comes out, and I cant wait.

The main difference is that the 99 is a dead head, copper chassis, 31 band EQ (I believe), and last but not least, its 4 WAY ACTIVE!

And like Bettr said, it is sexier, has a better processing, etc.

True but one of the reviews I read a guy had been tweaking his audison for a year and with in 10 minutes the MS8 had it sounding way better to his ears so I doubt youll be disappointed...
I think I saw that review...

I do not think you will need an external EQ with either' date=' but that is all opinion. I never use EQs, and some always use EQs. As for the decks, the 99 is leagues ahead of the 80, but I will be the first to say, I am getting an 80 when it comes out, and I cant wait.
The main difference is that the 99 is a dead head, copper chassis, 31 band EQ (I believe), and last but not least, its 4 WAY ACTIVE!

And like Bettr said, it is sexier, has a better processing, etc.[/quote']

I'm really feeling that 4 way active feature and that 31 band EQ for left and right sides...just still trying to convince myself to spend the extra coin...guess the fact that alot of ppl plan to get the 80, is enough motivation for me;) I like to be a little different.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Why So Cereal?

5,000+ posts
Invisible Cereal
Why So Cereal?
Drowning in milk
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date