Pioneer DEH-80PRS Selection

Hondaman
10+ year member

Hi,

I'd done a lot of looking for a decent H/U and this was the one that interests me the most. Reading people rave about it makes me want to get it.

I know this deck is a couple of year old, but I am assuming they've had updates since people still talk about it.

Basically I was wondering if there are any newer decks that have replaced this one as king (under $1,000).

I know Kenwood has a new X998 model out now but I haven't read much about how that one is.

I was thinking of switching out my Infiniti Kappa 6X9s out for some JL Audio C2-690TXs running on a Pioneer GM-A5602 amp.

Really simple setup, but I didn't want some Walmart grade deck or speakers.

Let me know what you think.

If you don't plan to run it in active mode there are plenty of cheaper options out there. I like my 80prs but mainly for it's active capabilities....

If you don't plan to run it in active mode there are plenty of cheaper options out there. I like my 80prs but mainly for it's active capabilities....
As someone who has never had an elite system (and probably never will), I do not know what 'active mode' or 'active capabilities' are....at least not by that name.

Could you offer a bit of clarification of what that is?

At minimum, I want a deck made by a quality company. I want built-in BT, and I want to run an amp on 6X9s with as many EQ bands as possible so I can adjust my music.

It sounds like this isn't active mode, but I guess I don't want to get stuck with a sucky deck.

Also - is there one in the $500 or less category that is better than this one?

Even if you do not run active, the equalizers and auto-tuning are still worth it.

If you are looking for best SQ with minimum tuning effort 80PRS is best bang for your buck.

Otherwise a setup with JBL MS-8 or Alpine Imprint will also get you there with excellent auto-tune capabilities, more more money.

After that then you are talking a lot of time and knowledge and proper tools (REW) needed to tune up a system with DSP.

All above assumes that the feature set of the 80PRS satisfies your needs. If you absolutely have to have touch screen and pretty colors and bells and whistles, then I would look at the new AVH-x2700BS and the others in that series. If you buy the accessory mic then they will also auto-tune the EQ (active or not)

The 80 is the best under $1000. If you want EQ it has 16 bands L/R. Auto tune is very good also.
That's the consensus I'm getting. So has the deck been re-released, or just had firmware updates? I know it didn't just come out, that's the only reason I asked if there are better decks.

That's the consensus I'm getting. So has the deck been re-released, or just had firmware updates? I know it didn't just come out, that's the only reason I asked if there are better decks.

under 1000 dollars man, just get a 150$ double din/singe din deck that looks nice and has all the modern features then get a JBL MS-8. The DSP is more powerful then any deck you can buy and has way more EQ options.

What ever money money is left over, you should spend that on your installation. Sound deadening, door acoustical treatments, proper driver placements, proper seals proper baffles etc. You wont notice too much of a change going from kappas to JL C2 speakers so dont bother, I'd place the importance of quality of signal source along with install before changing drivers.

Units like this have become next to impossible to find. Now it's all about factory intigration. You use to be able to find a audiophile HU by most manufacturs now they are building processors instead.

Units like this have become next to impossible to find. Now it's all about factory intigration. You use to be able to find a audiophile HU by most manufacturs now they are building processors instead.
I agree that the audiophile HUs are hard to find.

What do you mean when you say they are building processors instead?

I do like how you can build the curve on screen and it does it with that alpine. Adding the controler gets expensive.

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

I agree that the audiophile HUs are hard to find.
What do you mean when you say they are building processors instead?
Look at Alpine. They don't make a audiophile HU anymore. They are making toy decks and processors

I do like how you can build the curve on screen and it does it with that alpine. Adding the controler gets expensive. 

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

Look at Alpine. They don't make a audiophile HU anymore. They are making toy decks and processors
You can get head units that control the H800 also.

That is also not cheap though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Hondaman

10+ year member
Hondaman
Milwaukee, WI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from