Pick My Components

GCAdidas13
10+ year member

heh.
Yeah yeah I know another one of THESE threads...

well I am deciding that it's time to get a new set of components.

Here is a list of what I have:

1. PPI PCX4125 amplifier (125RMS x 4, very underrated)

2. Active set up

3. 12db/oct slope from 30-4k hz for each channel

4. Sealed kick panels, .3 cubes or so, pointed at the other listener's nose

5. Virtually any location available for tweeters (dash, a-pillar, sail, you name it; but I don't want to put the tweeters low)

6. Phoenix Gold 15-band EQ/Xover to tweak

7. Koda 8 midbasses, so anything lower than 200hz is not required

Here is my listening taste (at the moment):

1. Prodigy

2. Cake

3. Lots of other digital music (not all "techno" just computer-generated)

I do not like harsh tweeters at all. My MB Quart low-line series Titanium tweeter scared me away from that.

I'm looking for:

1. Ability to get loud and sound **** good

2. Speakers that are very inviting to turn up loud

3. Easy to listen to loud and not have to strain

Lets see what we have

how much can you spend?...Run that PPI at 2 channels...and get some CDT 07.3's, Boston Pros or Those new Seas Speakers theres a recent review of around here

but is that 4 way also powering your Kodas?

Focal PolyGlass series, PolyKevlar if you have the coin. Stay away from the Utopia's unless you want beryllium (sp?) tweeters. Very smooth but very expensive.

Focal PolyGlass series, PolyKevlar if you have the coin. Stay away from the Utopia's unless you want beryllium (sp?) tweeters. Very smooth but very expensive.
NU! -- he has 2nd order filters... not to be used with focal... Dayton is better and cheaper anyways... but you need 4th+ order to use them too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif -- 2nd order + rigid cone with sharp breakupmodes = harsh...

Peerless, morel, scanspeak, vifa soft cones... 2nd order friendly //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif -- morel is the friendliest for active w/o an EQ on every single darn speaker independently //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

However since the mid wont be used under 200hz... I have to say Seas MP 5" mid... or 2 of them... it is pretty friendly and ultra low distortion... at expense of extension...

You are also going to need another amp but I'm sure you knew that -- I also assume you are only going to have speakers in front...

dayton RS?
As much as I love the dayton RS drivers they are not very friendly to work with in terms of xover design... even a conventional 4th order just won't cut it unless you cross at like 1600hz... My passive xovers aren't very standard... For example the SL6 component set with the neo tweeter and 6"... the lowpass is at 2.7khz and the highpass is at 3.8khz... however the design is still flat within 1.5dB throughout... thats only on axis and upto 30 degrees off axis though -- after that you quickly degrade to +1.5 -3dB and much past 60 it is +1.5 -5dB and falls quickly near the xover point and higher in frequency (just the nature of the tweeter) -- so while the SL is as flat as the PL -- actually flatter on axis... the power response of the PL is much more even -- the tweeter has more dynamic potential -- and overall lower distortion... anyways the midwoofer is 3dB down at 2700hz and at 5400 it is 27dB down... no this isn't enough in my opinion but for the price of the tweeter... it is worth it -- still blows anything else in the class away...

Anyways the lesson of the story: Dayton RS drivers aren't very active friendly... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif unless you can control the Q of the slope for each individual driver //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If I was you I would use the Seas MP 5" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif -- I'm pretty sure that is the driver that I'm going to use in the 3 way version of the XXX/MP/RS... however most people will opt for just a XXX/RS 2way... They don't care that their midrange is going to be muddy compared to what it could be -- so long as it is better than normal //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.