Phoenix Gold or Soundstream?

double_a
10+ year member

JL or go home.
Ok so Ive been reading every thread I could find that talks about PG amps and Soundstream amps. I hear good things about both. More specifically Im talking about the PG xs 4300 and the SoundStream Rubicon 300x2. Besides the difference in channles which amp would you guys go with for an SQ setup? Im talking about clarity , quality, and reliability. Thanks

I've always liked the sound of Soundstreams and would choose one over a PG, although I do think PG makes good product. I used to have a Reference 405 and it was the cleanest, most musical sounding amp I have owned.

Im getting a little confused, Everyone on here is saying that they are pretty much equal quality yet everyone i talk to in person that either owns an audio shop or has been into car audio for a long time, laughs when I mention Soundstream. And the reason Im having a hard time understanding everything is because nobody will give me a reason why one is better than the other. Specs wise they are similar so why would I be getting such mixed reviews?

Im getting a little confused, Everyone on here is saying that they are pretty much equal quality yet everyone i talk to in person that either owns an audio shop or has been into car audio for a long time, laughs when I mention Soundstream. And the reason Im having a hard time understanding everything is because nobody will give me a reason why one is better than the other. Specs wise they are similar so why would I be getting such mixed reviews?
Old soundstreams are nice, the newer stuff isn't worth getting. When people are talking rubicons they are all old amps. Like my 500.1 rubicon is a solid amp, add a couple years and get into the newer stuff and it isn't nearly as nice. Same goes for PG. What type of amp do you need? Sub amp, Front Stage. Do you need raw power at a low price or SQ?

Old soundstreams are nice, the newer stuff isn't worth getting. When people are talking rubicons they are all old amps. Like my 500.1 rubicon is a solid amp, add a couple years and get into the newer stuff and it isn't nearly as nice. Same goes for PG. What type of amp do you need? Sub amp, Front Stage. Do you need raw power at a low price or SQ?
No company is what they used to be. The market has changed from the late 80s- early 90s. With that being said pg still makes a quality product to date. Soundstream on the other hand fell off the deep end a while back. Just get whatever amp you can get the best price on. Both are quality products.

Well Ill be needing both, Ive had my setup for wahile now and im ready for louder cleaner sound. Im more of an SQ guy that likes to turn it up once and awhile to shake thcar next to me. So Im going for something with a higher S/N ratio, low distortion and roughly 75 watts per channle (4) at 4 ohms. Ill also be replacing my W3 with a W6 and possibly another W6 down the road. My sub amp wont be AS important to me just becuase its harder to tell differences in sound at lower freqs. than at mid and high freqs.

So in all I need above average SQ with enough watts to turn heads.

AcidicDream - I didnt see your amp for sale in the for sale threads. Is it there?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.