Phoenix Gold Octane R8.0:1 thoughts

Jaice
10+ year member

???
I'm looking into buy a new 4 channel to power 2-Infinity Kappa 6.5's and 2-Infinity Reference 6x9's. I've been reading about the Phoenix Gold amps and it seems they usually put out there rated power or more so I was wondering whats your thoughts on this amp, and how would it stack up to the Infinity Reference 7540. The price is really nice also, here's the specs:

Continous Power Output @ 4 Ohm: 75Wx4 / 250Wx2 Bridged

Continous Power Output @ 2 Ohm: 125Wx4

nice budget amp. seen a couple, never heard anything bad about them. it made a set of infinity refs come alive in a toyota camry.

I'm looking into buy a new 4 channel to power 2-Infinity Kappa 6.5's and 2-Infinity Reference 6x9's. I've been reading about the Phoenix Gold amps and it seems they usually put out there rated power or more so I was wondering whats your thoughts on this amp, and how would it stack up to the Infinity Reference 7540. The price is really nice also, here's the specs:
Continous Power Output @ 4 Ohm: 75Wx4 / 250Wx2 Bridged

Continous Power Output @ 2 Ohm: 125Wx4

i'm thinking of buying one of these too...the actual r801...the amp you are actually talking about is the r80:4...which is 4 channel...the 1 stands for mono channel.

PG has had only one issue I have ever heard about, and it was on the Xenon series amps. Specifically the 1200.1 and the 400.1. I'm not a fan of the Octane series, I'd rather the RSd if I was to get the new stuff.

Either way, from several forums I browse I have really only heard praise for its performace-per-buck. It's underrated (400.1 were seeing up to 550 RMS @ 4 ohms) and it is cheap.

I'm buying an X400.1 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

GF's car has a R15:0.1 powering her assassins, VERY happy with it. Running a Profile AP1040 for her coax's and also VERY happy with that amp. BOTH are solidly built/good performing budget amps.

So now you have 2 choices for budget amps....

I currently have an R8.0:4

Love it, great amp for the price.

Doesn't even get warm after a 2 hour trip of running my speakers on full blast.

My only complaint is that it likes higher input voltages. My 2v output from the N3 just isn't cutting it. I have to set it at 54 and gains turned up just about all the way. I used a DMM and everything to get it to 70 RMS for the fronts.

Other than that, great amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.