Painting, please help

daveshore9

M,OH
I have tried searching, and I can't seem to find what exactly I'm looking for. I was wondering if anyone knew of a site or a thread that gives a summary of all the steps needed to complete a nice, glassy looking paint job? Thanks.

I don't know of any sites... hoiwever you can go to your local library and check out a book on auto body repair. It will tell you how to use your HVLP gun, what types of primers and paints, body filler usage methods etc.

I can also give you some tips if you want.

I will be painting just a few pieces. Two are some fiberglass plates I made that go where my 6x9's were in my rear deck and now hold a component system, and the other is my ashtray that I fiberglassed and "shaved" it. All of my other pieces were painted by a professional painter, but I don't really have any more money to take these there, so I just want to rattle can them; but I want them to turn out good.

I will be painting just a few pieces. Two are some fiberglass plates I made that go where my 6x9's were in my rear deck and now hold a component system, and the other is my ashtray that I fiberglassed and "shaved" it. All of my other pieces were painted by a professional painter, but I don't really have any more money to take these there, so I just want to rattle can them; but I want them to turn out good.
if you hot glue the back sides of them to a pencil, you can stick the pencil into a piece of foam or what ever to prop them up. after you sand them completely baby butt smooth, prime them with some primer and use 400grit sand paper to sand them down you can even wet sand them for a perfect smoothnes. then go over your pieces with about 4-5 light coats keeping the can aproximately 8 to 10 inches away. let dry in between coats. it can turn out well with patience.

dont let the paint dry u let it get tacky, thats what u do when u paint a car. u never let the paint dry on a car u let it flash for like 30 min then do another coat. same idea for fiberglass if u want it to turn out nice

dont let the paint dry u let it get tacky, thats what u do when u paint a car. u never let the paint dry on a car u let it flash for like 30 min then do another coat. same idea for fiberglass if u want it to turn out nice

good call my bad. should have specified more clearly

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.