Painting a 880prs...

leonsv
10+ year member

**DIABLO**
so right now i'm really considering the pioneer 880prs... but the only thing that's holding me back is the silver aluminum trim...is there any way to paint it black? so it would have that focal amp color and texture? maybe stain it wil a dye...

i doubt you can stain it, but there has got to be sme way to take that metal trim off and paint it.

i will look @ mine tonight....to have it black would be dope.

then u have to consider the buttons though.

yeah, i don't see why it's such a bad idea to paint it.... also i saw this thing in popular science on how to dye metal so i might try that... but yeah, i'm going for that jet black look...

Actually, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

The plastic "Premier" emplem pops right off (held with 2 pins and some double face tape). It's safe and easy to take off - just don't break it!

The lettering on the METAL comes off with any paint stripper (don't get that crap on the plastic/screen though).

Now you're ready to go.

The only thing you should pay super attention to is detailed masking of the areas you don't want to paint. Once yoo tape off the sides, screen, etc you're good to go.

I don't see a reason why this shouldn't be an easyily doable job.

Ha!

I decided to get another PRS880, as my wife dislikes her Kenwood X890 (colors + controls).

Her 4Runner has yellow/orange dash lights, so I'll mod the face of this one too (already did so for my WRX's green) and make the knobs/etc orange.

Now, the radio will look a bit odd in the DIN, as silver/metalic does not match well tot he rest of the dash.

I might paint the face...................can't tell you for sure yet, but if I choose to do it, I will take pix and do a write up.

....then you all can tell me how you don't like the look.

Hhahahh.....

...till then.

I don't see anything wrong with this if you know what you're doing... Using anodiser-like/type paints like Duplicolor Metalcast (as someone else mentioned) is a good idea as well, however I don't think it comes in black //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif There are probably some other paints you can find that are designed for surfaces like brushed metal, which are thin and will retain the brushed look but change the colour.

One thing to note is by doing this you will void your warranty quite instantly, lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

leonsv

10+ year member
**DIABLO**
leonsv
phoenix, az
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date