Overheating amps and use of external fan

if you have cooling fins on the amp, then it will make some difference. however, it should not do that. you have something else wrong with either ohm load or the gain control setting.

did you measure what the resistance was on the coils? maybe it is below spec and you are pushing the amp too hard?

if you have cooling fins on the amp, then it will make some difference. however, it should not do that. you have something else wrong with either ohm load or the gain control setting.
did you measure what the resistance was on the coils? maybe it is below spec and you are pushing the amp too hard?
I will check that, thank you for the tip.

Your more than likely running the amp too hard, due to the gain being set too high.

Turn off bass boost if its on, and back the gain down. You should set it with a dmm.

I was having this problem with one of my Orion hcca 225's. My gains were set properly, and it could handle the 1.5 ohms i was giving it. They are known to run hott, and they are class A/B. I got bored one weekend and made a box to house the amp for cooling. I attached 4 1.5 inch fans on the end where the coil is closest to pulling the air through the amp. I took the bottom and side panels off the amp. It works so good i couldnt believe it. Sometimes the thing would get so hott you could fry an egg on it, now it just gets warm like it should. Plus i carpeted the box, and made a plexi top for it and through a few orion stickers on it. Painted the inside white and put a black boarder on the plexi so just the amp shows. It looks great, and it gave me something to do. If worse comes to worse you can do this, and it helps to make things look good. Ill be doing it in the future for all my amps to make a nice custom looking install.

On my Alpine MRP-1000d mono I am pushing a 12 RF P3 dual VC4 ohm. The amp is two ohm stable. In about 25 minutes of play the amp shuts down to cool. How much impact will an external fan blowing on the amp have? Is it worth it?
Also, make sure the sub is wired like this:

1_4ohmDVC_2ohm.gif

regardless of if the amp is set up wrong or not, i think its good to have a fan on your amp
Its obviously going to be beneficial, things running cooler will be more efficient.

However, I would be willing to bet his problem is in the install.......

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.