ORION 2150 GX WAS GIVEN TO ME or Alpine PDX M12 AMP ... EITHER ENOUGH PW FOR MY SUBS

Androidaaron34

My boss at work had some amps in a super coupe..he bought to resell. He had no idea what they were but I did. I got a orion 2150gx free just for putting his equipment back to stock "no amps no subs".

I know in its day orion was top notch although I've never ran one .

I'm planning two sundown sa 12 s ported.

Is this amp in any way capable of giving them what they need . I know orion had cheater class amps as did most other amps in early 90s. Is this amp worth anytime it's like mint shape . But subs today don't have a max rating of 300 watts like they did 25 years ago.

What the value of it and or should I give it a whirl on to sundowns. If so what ohm load should I get for the 12s.

I've read it does 600 bridged but that's not a whole lot im Sure It's Clean Class A power . What would be a better amp option for new school .I do have a alpine PDX M12 digital density series that I've never used heard some solid reviews on them 1200 rms at 4 ohm and 2ohm.

Any gains or losses by using either

Nice amp for sure but not a powerhouse

Would power some components with very clean power

Even the HCCA cheater amps from the era are no match for today's high power subs

Nice amp for sure but not a powerhouse Would power some components with very clean power

Even the HCCA cheater amps from the era are no match for today's high power subs
You would recommend the orion gx 2150 on components is it even possible to run that amp on two sets of 6.5" components Wonder how the hell I would wire that up.. I want to keep it since I own it free maybe use it for a small classic install for a single 12" down the road or see about a trade . I don't think it will suffice either for a sundown let alone 2 sundowns . I think it's possibly rare not ultra rare but a collectible Wanna say it was made in 1987 .

One thing you may want to keep in mind is that the 2150 gx is not bridgeable without the Orion 400 bdg bridging module. There are also a few ways to make your own module depending on how electronically inclined you are. It's a nice amp for sure but as was already stated much better for use on components.

He's willing to trade me back the orion gx for a kenwood kac 9105D 2 channel 1800w 500 rms .

Is that a decent amp even suitable for two sa sundowns . I'm not up on kenwood stuff. Some old 4 channel kenwoods was good ... Think it's a wise swap back?

He's willing to trade me back the orion gx for a kenwood kac 9105D 2 channel 1800w 500 rms .Is that a decent amp even suitable for two sa sundowns . I'm not up on kenwood stuff. Some old 4 channel kenwoods was good ... Think it's a wise swap back?
Honestly you for 2 Sa12s you will want to find a decent mono block amp thats about 1200-1500 rms. Your not doing comps or anything so no need to go any bigger for SA12s because they are efficient.

Really for 2 Sa12s i would just pick up a Audiopipe Apcl1500 and call it a day. It would do very nicely on a pair of those

He's willing to trade me back the orion gx for a kenwood kac 9105D 2 channel 1800w 500 rms .Is that a decent amp even suitable for two sa sundowns . I'm not up on kenwood stuff. Some old 4 channel kenwoods was good ... Think it's a wise swap back?
Post the Orion up for sale and buy a good mono amp would be my advice.

The old school amps like your Orion have a nice following with collectors or retro builders

Id use the pdx m12. If your interested in selling the 2150 you could easily get $150 shipped. Don't bother with the Kenwood.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.