One 12 or Two 12's

I chose to go with a single 12" for my Honda since i realized that space is oftentimes more important than extra bass for me. So you may want to consider what you will or may be hauling in your cargo space. For that reason i decided i could sacrifice enough to go ported for a bit more efficiency and still took up less room than 2 sealed.

Nothing worse than needing to haul some lumber or go to a yard sale and realize you need to take out your box, but if your amp's are out of the way, it may not be a big deal to you to take out your box when you need that space.

If you have the space I would run the 2 ported. If youre trying to cram a whole bunch of subs (ported or sealed) when you dont have the space you will effectively choke your trunk and have a hard time getting the box in and out lol.

yeah see prelude trunks arent the biggest around. i couldnt find any dimensions on the internet so i dont know what can fit and what cant. i also dont know how big the box would be if i went with 2 ported or anything like that. if i try to stuff 2 back there, would i sacrifice something sound or power wise because of lack of air?

I had two SWR-1222Ds running off a crappy 850rms amp and they could hit 135db in a ported box. I would suggest a large sealed box if you're looking for sq, only a ported if you just want it loud.
thats not entirely true..

This is what I have heard also...care to explain?
it all depends on the sub, some like smaller volumes, others like larger volumes. its all about the optimal conditions for your subs, i dont know what type arghs like.

and yes, with good electrical you can run that amp daily at .5, i run the Aq2200 @ .5 daily on 4 SA-8s, sh|ts retarded, but it does fine

yes I know the type r's aren't the greatest but they aren't complete crap either. I bought them because I didn't know about any companies besides the mainstream ones. So I bought them. Then I started doing some research and I learn a lot more, a little late but oh well. I can upgrade in a year or two. Or I can sell them and get something different. Either way, it's a decent first system.

This isn't what this is about though. I'm just trying to figure out whats best to work in my car.

ok so today i went and checked out my friends lude. hes got 2 12's in a sealed box and there is a little bit of trunk left. So, if i were to go ported, my entire trunk would be gone and i dont know if i want that. now i am considereing a few options:

-put the type r's in a sealed box? not sure if that would be a good idea...

-sell the type r's and buy ONE new 12" sub and put it in a ported box

-put type r's in ported box (this is last resort)

does anyone got a sub suggestion in the $200 range? something that can hit hard, but still sound decent at the same time.

personally I would sell the subs and get something that will wire to 1ohm. Prob 2x 10's ported, or a single 15" ported if you can swing it.

Basically you need to measure your space out and figure internal volume for the subs you want. You can use aeroports, more $$, but saves space

I had a Diamond Audio D6 15" in just under 3 cubes and it sounded good and loud off an AP1500d turned down a touch. I got mine off ebay "refurbished" basically open box from a trusted company for $169

The reason why I said only go ported if you want it loud was because alpines tend to like sealed boxes. I didn’t mean to say sealed always has better sq. Since you already have the subs I would say just install them in a sealed box and they would sound fine. If you decide to go with something else maybe go with a AQ HDC312 and wire it to 1ohm, they are cheap subs for what you get…not sure on their sq

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

CannMann21

10+ year member
CannMann21
BC
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from