On a scale of 1 to stupid, how stupid is this?

Excuse my asking but 41 wide will fit in between the shock towers? I'm really underestimating trunk space for new cars

I measured one once forget which year and it was a little under 43” between well humps. The opening was between 18”-19” and the width of the opening was between 41”-42”. From back of seats to the abs of the tail is 40-41” if I remember correctly.

I measured one once forget which year and it was a little under 43” between well humps. The opening was between 18”-19” and the width of the opening was between 41”-42”. From back of seats to the abs of the tail is 40-41” if I remember correctly.

Damn. I know for me I can do 42 wide and play Tetris lol. So I keep it at 40 for the ease of removal.

Then again in speaking of my CR-V not a newer, safer vehicle

Damn. I know for me I can do 42 wide and play Tetris lol. So I keep it at 40 for the ease of removal.

Then again in speaking of my CR-V not a newer, safer vehicle

my beater civic I’m making my demo car has 36” in the trunk to work with. That’s why a wall had to be done for what I wanted to do lol. With the back seats out, cutting the abs panels, and beating the wheel well metal in a little in certain spots, I got 49” width and I made the box 49” wide cause I’m greedy and wanted to use every single inch 😂

Would be firing into the cabin.

Yeah 4 12s sounds like a better idea in hindsight.

4 - 15's on 15K. Sundown U/Xv2 hybrids. The box goes into the trunk. 16 cubes gross and about 14 cubes net tuned to 29hz.

20220512_050600.jpg
20220512_050626.jpg
20220512_001858.jpg
20220512_050658.jpg
20220512_050858.jpg
20220512_050730.jpg

Would be firing into the cabin.

Yeah 4 12s sounds like a better idea in hindsight.

How much space is there above the the subs or specifically where the trunk opening is? If you fire it forwards with the subs in the trunk and there’s not a good bit of space for clearance around that gap, you could possibly get some cancellation. It would also depend on how much rear deck breathing you have, as well.

Even firing everything forwards in a trunk can have cancellation. If your trunk is like 40” deep, then back and forth a sound wave would go. That would tune that enclosure like a t-line at like 41-42 hz. Cars have weird dynamics sometimes, and some cars are even engineered to cancel out road and other noises by the shapes of the car, so that distance in the trunk can cause cancellation, if something like 2 12’s isn’t sealed off. I’ve seen plenty of cars not have super noticeable cancellation, but I’ve also seen it where it kinda of ruins the experience.

Part of why flat walls are so loud is because, largely, everything is equal distance away from each other (subs/port). They’re also loud, if you know this, due to the distance of the wall from the dash/meter. The vehicle in front of the box acts as a tuned and pressurized enclosure. You can actually go pretty far by using the vehicle as enclosure in that fashion.

Part of why flat walls are so loud is because, largely, everything is equal distance away from each other (subs/port). They’re also loud, if you know this, due to the distance of the wall from the dash/meter. The vehicle in front of the box acts as a tuned and pressurized enclosure. You can actually go pretty far by using the vehicle as enclosure in that fashion.

We all know that a B-pillar wall is basically turning the vehicle into a single cab truck. SMDH!

We all know that a B-pillar wall is basically turning the vehicle into a single cab truck. SMDH!

Not much of a difference when you put 15 cubes in your back-seat area. Only reason I'm not walling my jetta is because it's alot of extra work, alot more to mess up, I can keep my enclosure below the bottom of the window opening already, plus porting through the rear deck into the rear glass can give a pretty nasty loading/horn effect for a 4 door.

Matt

How much space is there above the the subs or specifically where the trunk opening is? If you fire it forwards with the subs in the trunk and there’s not a good bit of space for clearance around that gap, you could possibly get some cancellation. It would also depend on how much rear deck breathing you have, as well.
I would probably like to seal from the trunk but how that would effect cancellation is beyond my understanding. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, I am still quite happy with 2 12s tuned low hitting 150. SPL poses a lot of interesting engineering challenges and I assume someone would have done this before me if it was a good idea.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...