Oldschooler Back In It!!!!!!

Mad Mac
10+ year member

Toledo
Well alot has changed and I see the new amps and such kinda **** I am not familiar with all the new manufactures out now and I seam to only trust a few of the old ones. I used to be a big Kicker and Soundstream guy and I liked Fosgate in the begining.

But anyways I have gotten back into this and I would like to see what you think of this setup for basicly a begginer again.

what I got is:

SUBS

2 Soundstream Exact 12s new old ones.

AMPS

3 Soundstream SA120's

1 Soundstream SA80

SIGNAL PRO

1 Soundstream MPQ-5XO

MIDS

2 Soundstream Exact 5.2's

REAR

4 Soundstream Exact 6.2's

I still am looking at head units I am up for suggestions

I have all the older soundstream stuff I never used I did just buy the EQ today but its the only thing from the new "soundstream" we shall see how it works.

I know the SA's aren't the best amps but I do not have my old MA 500's anymore //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

I am also not to sure about the SA amps they are kinda on the low end side:rolleyes:

Let me know what ya think and hello from a newb:D

First and foremost //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/bigwave.gif.16324171cad2db62cf4f16568b038478.gif , Welcome to our little corner of the car audio world //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You might be a newb to our forum but from the look of your equipment list (nice old-school gear ya got there //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif ) you're not a newb as far as car audio in general goes.

Yep - things have changed a bit since you were in it hard and heavy. Some of the players that were hardcore "back in the day" aren't anymore and there will be some big boys on the block that possibly you've never heard of before.

Outside of brand specifics, though, nothing too big has changed heaps...

Do you have a particular brand preference as far as head units go? I'm an admitted Kenwood fanboi and their current top-end non-DVD deck (the 25th Anniversary XXV-01D) is pretty spectacular. I have one and love it dearly.

Alpine still makes very solid gear.

Pioneer makes a great head unit.

Eclipse makes great gear too.

All depends on what you need it to do and what kinda budget you're looking at. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Again, Welcome!

Well i appreciate the welcome //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I am also looking for advise on what style encloser I should go with for my subs?

I am thinking of a 6th order bandpass box, 2 divorced sub boxes or should I just go sealed and be done with it.

I listen to all types of music other than country //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif and I like to feel the music so I am leaning twords the bandpass box, but I am limmited on space I am installing this in a 2000 Grandprix.

I also would like to know what the new school thinks of the SA AMPS I have?

I am using 2 of the 3 120s for my subs and 1 120 for my rear fill and the 80 for the front.

as for a head unit I was leaning twords the eclipse stuff but I am an old alpine follower, but not so much anymore since they relocated.

Welcome Aboard!

Man.....I really like those Exact subs, among my favorites //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

(what music do you listen to? I would go with them sealed)

Im reppin' the old school with my Premier PRS Amps //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Welcome back, I was in the same boat about a year ago...

The one thing that changed that I found interesting is that the actual need for manual crossovers that we used to have to use (this aside from using comps) are no longer required.

I just replaced my clarion with a Kenwood Excelon 789 and you can do all your crossover work with the head unit (so keep that in mind when purchasing).

T

Welcome to the board!

If you have the time to do all the work in designing a BP box they can sound decent. I still believe a well designed sealed enclosure sounds the best, but if you want to feel it and sound very good I think a low tuned ported would be best. 32hz Is my fav so far for good all around bass. Lower if you listen to bass tracks. Thats just my opinion after having a serious interest for 11 years. I am not so much a newB anymore but I am still learning. Most of it from young prodigies barely out of high school that have a better aptitude for math than I had.

Well I appreciate all the welcomes I am going to use the sealed enclosure I am going to start workin on it in the next week. Thanks again

yea sealed enclosures are good for sq and you'll still hear it in taht grand prix ... if u want a top of the linedeck look into the eclipse units, they are the best on the market in my opinion and many other people on this board's as well, i just bought a used eclipse 8443 for $280 and i absolutely love, they have 8 volt preouts and a d/a converter that is outside of the unit for better sound clairty.

just about anything u can ask for in a headunit eclipse offers. ask some more questions if your interested there are many people who know alot more than me

Zach

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Mad Mac

10+ year member
Mad Mac
Toledo
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from