Old school kicker 10 in ported enclosure tuning question

Participant count
  • Participant list

racin69z

Hello,

Me and my son are building a 84 Chevy truck for him, he is about to turn 16. The truck came with a set of old kicker impulse 10's and a punch 150 amp. For cost savings reasons, I am going to reuse that hardware for the time being. To make a long story shorter, the seats he chose are limiting me to one 10" sub in .6 cf behind the passenger seat. To get as much sound as possible out of it I was considering building a ported enclosure.

I have searched and done quite a bit of reading on tuning, and it appears mid to high 30's is where most people are for daily musical setups. The owners manual for those speakers recommends tuning at 49hz for a 1.0cf box.

I know these are old subs and don't hold a candle to what is available today. But I am not looking to win any contest. I just want him to have a little thump that is still responsive.

Just for testing purposes we cut up his old box and had about .6 cf sealed and it sounded ok, I was just hoping to gain more by porting it.

Sorry for the long post, but the utlimate questions are:

1. If I do a small ported box should I follow the original kicker specs for tuning freqency?

2. Should I just do a small sealed and plan on buying a more modern slim fit sub when the budget allows?

Thanks for any help.

Lynn

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.