Ohm's ? whats this (BEGINNER)

Participant count
  • Participant list
In the most simple and plain english possible. Ohms determines the amount of load the amplifiers sees as it pushes against the speaker. Lower the ohm resistance and the amp is more free to push, Raise it up and the amp works harder. Drop it too low and the amp pushes too free and over works. Bring it up too high and the amp is too restricted and does not work very well. Wiring the speakers properly can determine the load the amp sees and how the amp reacts.

Think of it in terms of water pressure. If you have one spicket (your amp) and you hook up a regualer hose to it (spkr rated at the same ohm your amp is rated at, say 4 ohm) then you get normal water presure. If you hook several hoses up to it (several spkrs) then you have a lot less pressure becuz it's divided so much. The spicket has to work much harder to keep up. If you put a much smaller hose, like a straw from Mcdonalds, on it then you have much higher pressure (spkr w/ higher ohm rating, or wiring your spkrs in series).

Make any more sence or did I just confuse you more? LOL! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Originally posted by Frraksurred Think of it in terms of water pressure. If you have one spicket (your amp) and you hook up a regualer hose to it (spkr rated at the same ohm your amp is rated at, say 4 ohm) then you get normal water presure. If you hook several hoses up to it (several spkrs) then you have a lot less pressure becuz it's divided so much. The spicket has to work much harder to keep up. If you put a much smaller hose, like a straw from Mcdonalds, on it then you have much higher pressure (spkr w/ higher ohm rating, or wiring your spkrs in series).

Make any more sence or did I just confuse you more? LOL! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Hell.... you confused me and I actually know what I am talking about1

Originally posted by Jmac Nominal resistance of a load is static (Impedance changes, I know, but for the sake of what 99.9999% of us use to set up our systems, it's nominal resistance.), meaning that it doesn't change. So if your subs are 4 ohm subs, it carries 4 ohms of resistance no matter what you do to it. Match that to an amplifier putting out 220x2 @ 4 ohms or 440 RMS @ 2 ohms

Total Resistance (Parallel) = (Resistance of load) divided by (Number of loads)

Total Resistance = (4 ohm subs) divided by (2 subs)

Total Resistance = 4/2

Total Resistance = 2 ohms

So get a monoblock amplifer (1-channel amplifier) that puts out 400-450 RMS and you should be good if you have two 4 ohm subs.

Please refer to your owners manual to discover the nominal resistance of your subs before you purchase an amplifier.
is this only when u hook it up in parallel??

p.s.....how do u hook subs up in parallel and what else can u do??

Jmac........if your gonna waste time with little to no information or speaking above a beginners head why bother?

Originally posted by Jmac To hook subs up in parallel, you simply connect all the voice coils to one channel ...
im w/ alaxan on this one....someone new to car audio is not going to know what the heck you are talking about when you say that......

Originally posted by Jmac If you're going to waste time by putting me down for no reason then why bother ?
I was not putting you down. I was simply stating what I saw here. You are better off not posting if you are going to do nothign more than over or underspeak and somehow you did both in this thread.

Originally posted by Jmac How should I have said it ?
Think in terms of a beginner?! Saying all the tech terms and leaving it at that is a bit overwhelming for many and it is easier to give a term and explain it a little more thoroughly in plain english. Try relating to the mind of a child. I am nto saying all newbies are children or young, but that Children look at things with new eyes and need explanation and detail so they can learn.

Originally posted by Jmac Thanks for the advice. I usually assume that people will know what the hell I'm talking about, but that's not always the case ...
Not a problem at all. I suppose that is one reason I have an easier time getting thru to some people. I tend to follow the basic rule of KISS (Keep it simple stupid). No need to go off the deep end when they admit they are beginner to the area.

actually i did understand what he ment.....i just needed a little more infor which goddyd4me gave me.....i wasn't very specific but i did get the answer...

to connect them parrallel i conect them to the same out put ?

both negative wires in the same negative oulet and same for the positive?

will this halve the power out put for that channel?

any help appreciated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.