Ohm Question

zerohertz
10+ year member

Florida
I've got two 1600watt max 12" subs, each 2 ohm DVC. The RMS on the subs is 800watts. I have a 1600watt D Class mono amp. At 4 ohms, RMS is 500 and at 2 ohms, RMS is 900. Should I just be hooking up a single voice coil on each of the subs and running them into the amp (The amp has inputs for two subs). Or, should I hook up both voice coils on each sub and then run them into the amp?

I've got two 1600watt max 12" subs, each 2 ohm DVC. The RMS on the subs is 800watts. I have a 1600watt D Class mono amp. At 4 ohms, RMS is 500 and at 2 ohms, RMS is 900. Should I just be hooking up a single voice coil on each of the subs and running them into the amp (The amp has inputs for two subs). Or, should I hook up both voice coils on each sub and then run them into the amp?

Ok mono amp with 900 watts out into 2 ohms. 2 dual 2ohm subs. Wire the voice coils in series on each sub. That will be 4ohms. Then wire the subs to each other in parallel that will give you a 2ohm load to run your amp into. 900 watts to the speakers will give each 450 watts...

Can you explain wiring in series and parallel so i can set it up like you suggested? Do you mean hook up both positives and negatives (+ to +, - to -) on each sub and then run a single positvie and negative from each sub into the amp as if i was bridging a 2ch amp?

Can you explain wiring in series and parallel so i can set it up like you suggested? Do you mean hook up both positives and negatives (+ to +, - to -) on each sub and then run a single positvie and negative from each sub into the amp as if i was bridging a 2ch amp?

No the opposite + to- to + to - on each sub. That will series the voice coils and give you 4 ohms. You will have only 2 leads coming off the sub. 1 pos and 1 negative lead. Then wire the two + leads together 1 from each sub. Do the same with the negative leads. So you end up with 2 neg leads and 2 positive leads that hook to the terminals on the amp. The voice coils are in series or one after the other. But the subs themselves are in parallel..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.