ohm question

Participant count
  • Participant list

speakerdude123
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
WA
Okay so when I bought my amp it said it was stable at 2 and 4 ohms, but I have heard of people going down to 1 and .5 ohm loads on an amplifier that was not made to be stable that low in ohms.

So my question is, will my amp be stable down to a 1 ohm load? If not what happens when you try?

that amp will more than likely go into protect if you wire it to 1ohm and give it any kind of volume.

Most amps people wire below the rating are high end, powerful amps, like sundown or AudioQue, and theyre typically already rated for 1ohm use

Technically you can run it a 1 ohm... Lets say my Rockford Fosgate 1001 bd (03 model) is 2 ohm stable and has a 1000rms. If I wire down to 1 ohm will attempt to push it at 2000rms at full capacity. If you put the gain to about half 5/8 of that you will be pushing around 1200-1400rms. Though this isn't stable if your amp can handle it , like the others have said the high end amps can, you may be able to do so. If not your amp will die. Pour liquor for my dead RF and Memphis. If I'm wrong please enlighten me. I'm new but this is what I have been explained by an RF dealer and other installers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.