Official CarAudio.com Big 3 Thread

sorry if this has been asked, or since its really dumb, but whats the difference between teh chassis and the frame, and which is it better to attach to?

i believe the chassis is the lower main part usually where all the suspension and motor and tranny bolt on to and frame involve upper construction but i may be wrong. i think grounding to either would be the same if shave down to bare metal

edit- i did a search on google pictures and got similar pictures for both which leads me to believe its the same thing.

I know my battery grounds to the frame but there's also another wire going to the engine is this the engine ground? How likely is the engine to be grounded to the battery's ground?

seeing as in a lot of cases the starter only gets a POS feed and an "engage" wire, it has to use the engine block/trans as the ground for it's circuit. so that being the case, you will more than likely have a stock engine to battery ground. what you need to do for the big 3 is ADD a bigger wire to do the same thing.

Finally I got my problem solved!!!!!

It turn's out that my car has a weird protection system built in that doesn't allow the alt to be grounded directly to the chassis, frame or neg bat post... so i had to upgrade my ground from engine to chassis and voila.

Now ready to the next step... putting all the components into the car... 2 days more of work and ready to enjoy the weekend!!!!

how does the alt put out power w/o a complete circuit? a sure as hell cant think of a way that could possibly work

EDIT:

actually, if the alt case is metal, and the engine/alt bracket is metal... then the alt case = the engine (electrically). so engine to chassis = alt case to chassis (electrically)

would the big 3 still be efficient if i replaced the batt to engine ground with 0awg and added another 0awg? same for motor to chassis replace the stock ground with 0awg then add another 0awg wire?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...