Official CarAudio.com Big 3 Thread

RAM_Designs

SketchUp Master
10+ year member
Feb 26, 2006
Rockwall, TX
If anyone is interested, I am selling fully terminated and heat shrink'd Big 3 kits using Audio Technix 1/0(more like 2/0) CCA wire for $55 shipped.

s3th

Feb 14, 2013
Georgia
Anyone done the big three for a 2010 -13 V6 Camaro ( 3.6L Version ). So far I have an aftermarket Pioneer touchscreen, Alpine type r components in the doors, stock rear deck speakers, and for awhile was running the Hifonics Brutus 1200.1D with Alpine Type-R, lights do dim after I reach a higher volume.

Side information... I love to listen to music loud, and everytime I am in my car the stereo is blasting. I am currently in the process of a big upgrade to 2 12" Audioque HDC 3.0's for the amp I am thinking the Audioque 2200D @ 1 Ohm on both subs. However I might eventually strap another of the same amp if I get the money so each sub gets their own. I want to be loud, and I want everyone to hear me.

Back to the business

What kind of electrical upgrades are recommended, since the car is fairly new I didn't think the big three would make that much of a difference but 0 AWG is better than stock I guess. Only thing is the battery is in the trunk, so would I have to run a wire from the Alt through the fire wall and somehow find a way to make its way into the trunk to my stock battery correct? So if anyone has done the big three for a 2010 -13 camaro that would be nice to have a chat, or get some info on whats the best route.

Also as far as other useful info that I need, should I do a H/O Alt or a New Battery? Either way its going to take some saving up to do either way.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!!

WhyUmad

Apr 14, 2011
FL
bump, anyone done stuff to this car of this nature before??
You mean a car with a battery and alternator, yeah it's been done before. 62 pages of info on it if you look hard enough.

Staynlean

Senior VIP Member
Mar 13, 2013
Memphis, TN
Just throwing in my .02 cents. I did part of the big 3 today only thing left to do is alt to bat and I can see a difference. The starter turns over so fast now and dimming is minimal. NOTICEABLE difference and my vehicle is only a 2008 so it's not that old. Can't wait to get my alt to bat finished.

Chc777

May 2, 2013
Palm Harbor, FL
This is the method I used and it works great and was the best way for me too on my 2008 Honda Civic lx sedan. My system is about 1000w so I only used 4gauge wire with 150A fuse to the alt. Had the charging system checked out at as Advanced Auto it read 14.45v no load, and 14.21v loaded with a/c on full and headlights on bright, but I didn't have my system on, I'm not sure what the voltage would be with the system on so I ordered a stinger plug into lighter hole voltmeter are they accurate?

robertoyoung08

CarAudio.com Elite
Aug 8, 2009
bay area, ca
I'm talking about a 2010 camaro ******
its the same thing.

do a run of 0 gauge from the alternator to the battery in the trunk.

find a good ground for battery in the trunk.

ground the engine under the hood to a solid ground.

same thing, see.

youd have to do a run of wire to get the power to the amps if your battery was under the hood anyways.

Quinn88

May 7, 2013
Eugene, Oregon
My battery goes to the engine block not chassis so can I just run the other ground chassis to engine block and then it goes engine to battery will this complete the circuit or do I need three grounds as battery to engine block engine block to chassis chassis to battery I just want to get it right I did the battery to engine block and my running volts are 13.8 so that did a lot by its self

Quinn88

May 7, 2013
Eugene, Oregon
I just finished my big three upgrade and I'm at 14.8 volts at idle but there is no rises when I rev it up to 2000 or 3000 rpm any ideas to why or should I just not worrie about it cAuse its up so high anyways

Zavenoa

Apr 29, 2013
Northern VA
Thanks for info, big 3 upgrade successful. Now to see if this does the trick or if I need to go drop another $600 on HO Alt and new batt...

Zavenoa

Apr 29, 2013
Northern VA
2 questions:

1: The 1/0g wiring I used between alt and batt+ says max load is 375A @ 20', I used 6' between alt and batt with an in line fuse holding 3 100a mini-anl fuses. I think I want to increase these to 120A fuses for a total of 360A, right?

2: Any harm in running an extra 4g wire from batt neg to ground? Have an open spot on neg terminal cover and enough 4g to run, I have some extra 1/0 but I don't think it's long enough.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)

Latest classifieds