Odd smell

danieldl
10+ year member

Hey guys,

I just hooked up my brand new Type-R 10" (latest generation) to my PDX-1.1000. It is wired in parallel (4+4 ohms) to 2 ohms with gauge 16 wires (or something like that). I put it up in my Alpine ported enclosure and as soon as it plays really loud, there is a really strange smell going into the car. It comes from the vented area of the enclosure, all the air pushed by the sub smell really bad, a little bit like if something was burning or overheating.

The amp has been adjusted to about 1/3 of the gain with a multimeter hooked up to the back of the sub's enclosure (around ~31v) with a bass song (but not a 50-60hz tone) while it was playing, just to be sure I'm not giving it more than 600W.

Is is normal? Is it going to broke? I'm a little bit affraid. By the way, the amp is actually powered up with gauge 8 wires set, but I'm going to get some good gauge 4 soon.

Thank you.

Hey guys,
I just hooked up my brand new Type-R 10" (latest generation) to my PDX-1.1000. It is wired in parallel (4+4 ohms) to 2 ohms with gauge 16 wires (or something like that). I put it up in my Alpine ported enclosure and as soon as it plays really loud, there is a really strange smell going into the car. It comes from the vented area of the enclosure, all the air pushed by the sub smell really bad, a little bit like if something was burning or overheating.

The amp has been adjusted to about 1/3 of the gain with a multimeter hooked up to the back of the sub's enclosure (around ~31v) with a bass song (but not a 50-60hz tone) while it was playing, just to be sure I'm not giving it more than 600W.

Is is normal? Is it going to broke? I'm a little bit affraid. By the way, the amp is actually powered up with gauge 8 wires set, but I'm going to get some good gauge 4 soon.

Thank you.
its already break your too late, just throw it away now

Well you guys told me That it should be ok as long as i'm looking at the output voltage to be around 31v. It is not supposed to output more than 500w. By the way the sub is playing really Nice. It only smells bad when the song is loud. Some of you guys give this sub more than 1000w without any problems.

Well you guys told me That it should be ok as long as i'm looking at the output voltage to be around 31v. It is not supposed to output more than 500w. By the way the sub is playing really Nice. It only smells bad when the song is loud. Some of you guys give this sub more than 1000w without any problems.
rated for 500rms for a reason

people put double the recomended power on higher quality subs your type will poop out eventually

well my guess is that you never properly broke the sub in, where you play the sub at moderate levels for a period of time before deciding to throw everything at it

my guess is you most likely are going to kill it very soon

well my guess is that you never properly broke the sub in, where you play the sub at moderate levels for a period of time before deciding to throw everything at it
my guess is you most likely are going to kill it very soon
Yeah, break-in is definitely the issue here.

/sarcasm

But what should I've done? I set the gain on the amp so that it doesn't exceed ~550W. It's still too much for that sub? Maybe 400 would be too much too? Wt* is that sh*t...

But what should I've done? I set the gain on the amp so that it doesn't exceed ~550W. It's still too much for that sub? Maybe 400 would be too much too? Wt* is that sh*t...
I dont think you set the gains right if its burning the coils.

I dont think you set the gains right if its burning the coils.
Well, it's still at about 1/3 with a voltage of 31.61v (during bass test, otherwise it's less than that) ... so I still don't know what's wrong?

By the way, when playing normal musics, I must get my nose right into the vent to smell it. It's only when I'm playing hard bass test that it smells in the car.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.