obsidian audio 18 quality

Why would that be? Size has absolutely nothing to do with the "speed" of the woofer - inductance is what determines the accuracy of transient response. Read this paper.
Back OT to your question, the 18" sounds very smooth. Because of the 18's low reaching capabilities and because it uses the same motor and coil as the rest of Obsidian's 600 watt lineup that means it plays just as high meaning the bandwidth is very broad. Get the frequency response flat and the impulse will be optimized. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
I am pretty new to car audio. I have had a couple friends with a mediocre to decent systems. Only 1 has 15's. From what my limited experiences has been the larger cones tend to loose some sq and accuracy. The trade off is they good deeper.

My OA 15 sounded great and got quite loud too. As has been said already, best bang for your buck sub out there. There might be louder, but won't sound as good and their might be better sounding subs, but won't get as loud. With OA you get a very nice mix of both and they are very budget friendly.

I am pretty new to car audio. I have had a couple friends with a mediocre to decent systems. Only 1 has 15's. From what my limited experiences has been the larger cones tend to loose some sq and accuracy. The trade off is they good deeper.
More then likely you've heard 15's or 18's stuffed into enclosures that were wrong for the sub. I run an 18 daily and it sounds good on everything.

Got a chance to see one of the OA 18's in person today, very nice looking sub. Heard a 15 before and was impressed for a low dollar/wattage sub.

Have a handful of the 18's going in a Burban but the build won't be done for another 6-8 weeks. Will report back once it's up and playing...

Why would that be? Size has absolutely nothing to do with the "speed" of the woofer - inductance is what determines the accuracy of transient response. Read this paper.
Back OT to your question, the 18" sounds very smooth. Because of the 18's low reaching capabilities and because it uses the same motor and coil as the rest of Obsidian's 600 watt lineup that means it plays just as high meaning the bandwidth is very broad. Get the frequency response flat and the impulse will be optimized. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Got my 12 in a 4th order tuned to 35hz...because of my cabin gain the response gets bumped up at 50hz where I peak and makes it a dead flat response, plus I can dig down to 20hz with ease because of the low tuning. By far the most musical setup I've heard/had.

The 15's I have listened to was an 04? 9500 MTX sealed in a custom box. It hit hard. It had plenty of flex. It wasn't very tight sounding. It got stole so he went cheap and put 2 RF P1 or p3's is had been a while. They sounded alright and had a nice bass that carried when you opened the doors and used it as a juke box.

The 15's I have listened to was an 04? 9500 MTX sealed in a custom box. It hit hard. It had plenty of flex. It wasn't very tight sounding. It got stole so he went cheap and put 2 RF P1 or p3's is had been a while. They sounded alright and had a nice bass that carried when you opened the doors and used it as a juke box.
seriously where the fuck did this myth start that 15's are slower and less punchy to respond then a 10"....when will this ****** myth die

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.