Obsidian 15 or C2 Audio Threatcon 2 15?

alec14
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Alpena, MI
Hey guys, so I need some help. Right now I'm really stuck on which sub to get. I'll be running whichever one I decide on in a 2 cube net sealed enclosure, on about 1000 watts. I'm looking for all around SQ, while mainly getting loud and low. I like the price tag on the C2's, but I like the high roll and cooling of the Obsidian's. So, my question is- which would work better with what I have, and my goals? Any input is appreciated! Thank you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Haha, I always like having your opinion man. Why, exactly? Better quality?
Yeah. That and I just don't like all the comical nuthugging around the whole company.

Let me ask you this: why are you going sealed? Why not do a ported 12? Depending on the type of music you listen to, that might be a better option. But if you just like the sound of the sealed box then go for it.

But, even still, either of those 15's will want a bigger sealed box for optimal performance. Obsidian's QTS is .61, C2's QTS is .48. Lower Qts will give an earlier roll off, but a smaller box. Higher QTS will get flat response closer to Fs, but needs a bigger box to do so. They both recommend a 2-2.5ft.^3 sealed, so take your pick, it's all compromises. And QTS isn't an end-all, be-all, but it's a good indicator.

Well, I do prefer the sound of a sealed box, and I'm also giving my current 12's to my brother, so I'm changing it up.

So if I were to get the Obsidian, and put it in a 2.5-2.3 cu ft.^3 box, that'd be best? I was planning on making a box about that size, and if the Obsidian would perform optimally in it, that'd be great.

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Yeah. That and I just don't like all the comical nuthugging around the whole company.
Let me ask you this: why are you going sealed? Why not do a ported 12? Depending on the type of music you listen to, that might be a better option. But if you just like the sound of the sealed box then go for it.

But, even still, either of those 15's will want a bigger sealed box for optimal performance. Obsidian's QTS is .61, C2's QTS is .48. Lower Qts will give an earlier roll off, but a smaller box. Higher QTS will get flat response closer to Fs, but needs a bigger box to do so. They both recommend a 2-2.5ft.^3 sealed, so take your pick, it's all compromises. And QTS isn't an end-all, be-all, but it's a good indicator.
Well, I do prefer the sound of a sealed box, and I'm also giving my current 12's to my brother, so I'm changing it up.

So if I were to get the Obsidian, and put it in a 2.5-2.3 cu ft.^3 box, that'd be best? I was planning on making a box about that size, and if the Obsidian would perform optimally in it, that'd be great.

why, exactly? 

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

Why? Is it just a personal preference?
I think they are simply better subwoofers, quality wise. The threatcon's(despite having good reviews.) still seem to be cheaply made and might not last as long as a woofer with better parts.

I think they are simply better subwoofers, quality wise. The threatcon's(despite having good reviews.) still seem to be cheaply made and might not last as long as a woofer with better parts.
Thanks, I was kinda worried about that same thing. I need it to be able to take a beating

I own both two oa 12s and a threatcon 2 12 and hands down all day i would pick the obsidian. They are very musical, they play well into the 20Hz range with plenty of force. one oa 12 in 2.25 cu tuned to 31hz had my front doors flexing in my explorer. If u are into flex. The threatcon is a decent woofer but the obsidian is a great subwoofer when compared. The threatcons feel and appear cheaper when side by side with a obsidain. Less cooling features a soft spider, i could go on but that is just my .02 ! Oa nutthugger in ra hiz-ouse

I own both two oa 12s and a threatcon 2 12 and hands down all day i would pick the obsidian. They are very musical, they play well into the 20Hz range with plenty of force. one oa 12 in 2.25 cu tuned to 31hz had my front doors flexing in my explorer. If u are into flex. The threatcon is a decent woofer but the obsidian is a great subwoofer when compared. The threatcons feel and appear cheaper when side by side with a obsidain. Less cooling features a soft spider, i could go on but that is just my .02 ! Oa nutthugger in ra hiz-ouse
Thanks man, i was looking for an opinion like this! I'm gonna try and get the OA

can you elaborate on why do you think its C2 cheaply made? or is it because its a new woofer in the market?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.