OA15 Gets warm during 4 minute constant bass session

EpicMango
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Colorado
After gain settings I assume I'm pushin around 600-700 watts to my sub. When I play 1 specific song, "No Hands" my waka flocka flame on full tilt. Now if you don't know, as soon as the bass starts at the beginning of the song, it doesn't stop till the end of the song, giving a sub a good workout for a good 3 in a half minutes.

When I'm at full tilt, my OA15 ripping my car to shreds, I do notice that I smell what seems to be the glue on the sub, because the smell starts around the 45 second mark, but I can still keep playing at full tilt for the entire song and the smell won't get stronger or weaker, it will persist until the songs over. Its not a burning smell, its a wierd funky smell. And it only happens for this one song. After this, the dust cap is warm, not hot, but is warm to the touch. Is this normal? My gain's set to around 55% on a ASPM-1500 wired at 2 ohms on a D4 OA15

woofer cookin! your clipping the crap out of the sub with that song and if you pull your sub it's most likely got a very dark burnt coil and now the sub is halfway to dead because soon it will unwind while playing.

Then how come it keeps playing just as loud, just as clean and just as low as when I got it?

Yesterday I played a song, which is probably thee loudest hitting song on my system, and no smell, but the dust cap was still warm..?

I highly doubt my subs fried. Remember, I don't smell any burning whatso ever, its a little glue smell. And I've read a couple times in other places that other people have the same thing going on during full tilt.

I studied by sub during this, and my woofer moves more on other songs without smell...and if I remember correctly, clipping a sub basically makes its excursion go all the way out and all the way in. on 650 watts @ 2 ohms with 50% gain? I think I'm just working out the sub

And thats for that 1 single song. No other song makes my sub smell..but no other song keeps the sub bumping in its tuning area for almost 4 continuous minutes..

I even turned down my gain from like 60% to 50%

Geeze guys.. the sub isn't dead or anything. lol Just make sure you set the gain and head unit settings correctly to keep it from clipping and dying on you. You should have gone D2 if you were going to run a 1ohm amp.

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

And most subs will smell like that when they are new and getting a workout. Again, just make sure it isn't clipping and rock on.

Lol sub is fine. I've had subs where they got stinky every time I played em and they held up absolutely fine with no issues.

No hands is wicked clipped though it's no surprise that thing heats up a lot.

IF anything I have Bass Boost on my ****** Boss deck at 0, loudness is on however..

Is the actual song clipped to ****, or just what I have? Maybe download a 320kbps version?

I bought a 1 ohm stable amp because I wanted that option for the future, my cars electrical can't handle 1 ohm on that ASPM, and either way I heard that efficiency and SQ gets worse the lower ohm you go. I'm perfectly happy with what my subs wired at and how loud it gets so I'm not going to switch to a D2

IF anything I have Bass Boost on my ****** Boss deck at 0, loudness is on however..
Is the actual song clipped to ****, or just what I have? Maybe download a 320kbps version?

I bought a 1 ohm stable amp because I wanted that option for the future, my cars electrical can't handle 1 ohm on that ASPM, and either way I heard that efficiency and SQ gets worse the lower ohm you go. I'm perfectly happy with what my subs wired at and how loud it gets so I'm not going to switch to a D2
Loudness is clipping everything HARD. Turn that off and set your gain accordingly.

Awwwwwwwwwwwww, I like loudness, it makes everything sound good..

**** that ****. I'm droppong money on a new quality deck! **** my boss deck!

If your so sure the sub is fine go take it out of the box and push the cone up from underneath and look into the cooling vents and see if the coil is still shiny copper or a burnt looking purplish/black color getting darker towards the bottom of the windings.

When you clip, can you hear the sub clipping? Can you hear it bottoming it out? Is there any audio cue? Or can you only tell with a DMM?

Since I'm selling this setup anyways, where can I go to make sure that I am running a clean signal to my new sub? I don't want to buy a DMM for a 1 time use thing

Because honestly, once I have everything set, I'm not gonna change anything. I ain't gonna get a new system, new amp or nothing. I'm just gonna set it and forget it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.