o-scope

Participant count
  • Participant list
just using to setup audio system. might use it once on my rig, and never use it again. but would be nice to have if a big install ever came into the shop i work at.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

still unnecessary for large installs, only thing id worry about is if you're getting up into huge outputs from these amps(over 80-100acv, but if you buy a 100x probe that wont be a problem

Last edited by a moderator:
how do you mean unnecessary? isnt this the way to setup an amp to see if its clipping the signal?

question, have a friend that has an o-scope, says i can use it. how and where do i test everything? on my headunit im using preouts only. how do i test it to see where in the volume range its clipping before the amps, and after the amps, do i check at the speaker connections on amps? and i do need speakers hooked up correct?

How much power is that good for? I want to set the gains on my 1200 watts RMS amp with that, will it work?
more than enough for that power, its really probably the easiest/best option as far as cost and usefulness goes

so for anyone wondering what the limitations of this scope are, it handles up to about 8v rms in i believe. with the 10x probe it can take up to 80 volts in, above 80v you'll need a 100x probe or a different scope. ive heard they work above that but i wouldnt risk it personally.

more than enough for that power, its really probably the easiest/best option as far as cost and usefulness goes
so for anyone wondering what the limitations of this scope are, it handles up to about 8v rms in i believe. with the 10x probe it can take up to 80 volts in, above 80v you'll need a 100x probe or a different scope. ive heard they work above that but i wouldnt risk it personally.
nice i may look into getting one of these. Seems with the 10x probes it should be ok up to about 6500 Rms?

How much power is that good for? I want to set the gains on my 1200 watts RMS amp with that, will it work?
Set the gains on my DD M4a with it, and that's a solid 7k RMS.

Honestly though, once I figured out my headunit's loudest clean volume, I don't even use an O-scope to set my amp gains anymore. Music is dynamic and changes so much. Every song is different. I just get a feeling for my system, and don't push it past reason. If voltage tanks, stuff gets hot, I can smell my subs, or it makes a weird noise that doesn't sound good I turn it down.

If you set your gains with a 0db tone, you should be fine 99% of the time, but you won't get the most out of your system with many songs.

If you set gains with a much lower tone level like -5db, -10db, I don't really see the point because some songs are recorded at higher levels.

Basically no point imo.

nice i may look into getting one of these. Seems with the 10x probes it should be ok up to about 6500 Rms?
so i did a little research, and it looks like they'll just keep eating it up past where i thought without issue

26fd1c7155bb31759e00691e31b18c14.png

i highly recommend you verify it with the specific user manual for the scope you buy as there are different models out there

note that the sensitivity is not what we want, we want the max peak to peak input voltage

What do they come with probe wise? And is what they come with good enough for doing basic system setting?

I ask because I feel ive ready somewhere that its easier or better to have a 10x or 100x probe. Makes readings easier to see.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.