Sq out the window when I open windows

Participant count
  • Participant list

Flipper245

Senior VIP Member
Been listening to system with windows closed all winter. Did a lot of work to make it sound tight and clean, mostly on the body of the car. Warmer weather and open windows. Ugh! Bass all boomy and loose and overpowering now! Not like it wasn't overpowering before but it sounded good before. I haven't messed with it much yet but eq'd it out a bit. 18" sub in small hatchback. Sealed box. Any ideas on which way to aim my settings to try and correct this? My crossovers are set at 64 and 100 at 18db. With Windows closed I can set the sub crossover at 50-80. Sounds decent anywhere. Or am I just going to have to live with this?

Windows down is always louder for me and I like it "boomier"

I don't know any way to tighten it up though.

Keep your windows up and use air conditioning //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Think of your car like a sealed box. Now opening the window just turned your sealed box into a ported box. Good luck with that.

well... If you have a good head unit with a good EQ, you can EQ down the 32, 40 or 50hz frequencies to make it less peaky.

Think of your car like a sealed box. Now opening the window just turned your sealed box into a ported box. Good luck with that.
well... If you have a good head unit with a good EQ, you can EQ down the 32, 40 or 50hz frequencies to make it less peaky.
Thanks. That did the trick. 32 and 50hz are -3 now and 20hz is +2. Changed my crossover points too. Sub is now at 80. It sounds way cleaner now! Sub really wants to play the lows. Going to be making the box a couple cuft bigger soon. That might smooth out the response a bit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.