Not sure whats burning, but something was..

timma100
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Just playing some "Beats 4 my Van" on my system, got a horrible smell about 2 minutes in. AMP protect light came on but the song kept going. I turned it off, the subs seem fine I never heard the coil hit or anything like that. It actually sounded great.. I'm trying to pin down the source of the smell, im pushing a little over 1000W rms, the wiring to the subs (Subs were rewired from a friend I bought them from) looks like 18gauge or cheap 16. Says "500W rated" on the wire, was I burning the wire? or the coils D: and yes I know im a tard for doing this

We need more details. Amp make and model? Amp tuning (gain, bass boost, etc) Sub make and model? What are they wired to? Headunit settings (bass boost, treble, loud setting,etc). Electrical upgrades? Wiring brand?

is there anyway to pinpoint where the smell was coming from? could it be from the sub, the amp, inside the amp, terminals???? any idea at all? anything look burnt?

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

We need more details. Amp make and model? Amp tuning (gain, bass boost, etc) Sub make and model? What are they wired to? Headunit settings (bass boost, treble, loud setting,etc). Electrical upgrades? Wiring brand?
beat me to it with all the questions. lol

Got a very strong smell at the port, not electrical, something else. Gain is half way bass boost 0, LFP 300hz subsonic 1hz, phaze 0. +3db on the low end at the deck. The smell was very strong, even when I play songs low now I smell it. Even at 1/3 volume I get the smell, not nearly as bad but I smell it. I have played other songs much MUCH louder than I did this one, but it has crazy lows, I figure I pulled to much current and burred.... something

Got a very strong smell at the port, not electrical, something else. Gain is half way bass boost 0, LFP 300hz subsonic 1hz, phaze 0. +3db on the low end at the deck. The smell was very strong, even when I play songs low now I smell it. Even at 1/3 volume I get the smell, not nearly as bad but I smell it. I have played other songs much MUCH louder than I did this one, but it has crazy lows, I figure I pulled to much current and burred.... something
WOW - why do you have your LPF at 300 - it should be at 80 hz

The low end SHOULD not be boosted on the deck

subsonic should be at around 30 not 1

You have fried your coils, you need new subs.

Make sure you set your next system up correctly.

Serioulsy I cannot understand why you had the Low Pass at 300 - it had to sound like pure ****

WOW - why do you have your LPF at 300 - it should be at 80 hzThe low end SHOULD not be boosted on the deck

subsonic should be at around 30 not 1

You have fried your coils, you need new subs.

Make sure you set your next system up correctly.

Serioulsy I cannot understand why you had the Low Pass at 300 - it had to sound like pure ****
I just got done setting gain on the amp, and I haven't tuned it to my liking. it is set to respond to the full range of the amp. The subs still work just fine, but they stink.

please tell me u have a typo where it says 18GA wiring kit?.....
if its true u clipped ur sub to hell

if not true it still sounds like u clipped ur sub to hell
I bought the subs already wired by some tard from work.

The source of the smell is the hole in the picture, so its gotta be the coil. But the subs still work fine, but like I said, they smell...

2011-11-15_19-05-24_701.jpg

What subs and amp do you have? The burning coil is either from running too much power or clipping the subs to hell.
earthquake DBX 12, rated at 800W so 400RMS about. Was running a pair at 1ohm putting 1000W to the circuit, but like I said, they have been pushed much further on songs that didn't go as low.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.