Not happy with my sundown sa15

Bass is a -6 and subwoofer is a 0 or -1 usually. Since I had it tuned low I turned all the EQ settings as low as possible. Bass boost is always off however I have the little thumb control (aka cop saver) and I set that in the middle and control it per song. Is that a bass boost control?

Ill need to learn how to do it correctly with the dmm.
Ok. So your EQ and bass settings are fine then. Though, I would leave them set to 0... At least the Bass part. Subwoofer level you can turn up and down. That's what I use for my cop saver. I leave it at 0. If there's a cop, I turn it down to whatever if I don't want to turn my volume down.

For the knob... leave it in the middle, turn it down if you need. When you turn it up, it will either boost the bass, or increase the gain, neither of which you want.

As for setting the gain.... any of these will show you how. Though, I would use a 50hz tone instead of a 60hz tone.

How to Adjust Amplifier Gains Using a Digital Multi-Meter - Knowledge Base

How To: Set your Amplifier Gain - SSA Car Audio Forum

How to Set Amp Gain With a Multimeter | eHow.com

Step 1, turn Gain(sometimes called level) DOWN on your amp to 0, then go to your head unit and turn the Subwoofer and Bass settings to 0 instead of -6 and -1.
Then turn the gain on the amplifier back up until the sub is playing well. I don't know how trained your ear is, but you can usually be safe by turning it up til it distorts, then turning it back down a little.

Make sure you do the amp tuning when the head unit volume is at the max that you will listen to.

Basically, I feel like your amp is probably distorting balls because you have the gain cranked and the head unit settings too low.
Second.

Go with 3.5 cubes on low power you can go a little big. Now i know for a fact when i tune my boxes low. you can only play chopped and screwed or low low hitting songs. Rock music calls for higher tuning. In a low tuned box double kicks will be non existent and rock music will sound like ****. Go for around 34 35Hz and u can get the best of both worlds. And i know there rated at 600 watts but you really need at least 1000 rms. 500 wont get that thing moving

I thought it didn't matter how low you tune a ported box or how big it is because frequencies above tuning will cause the box to act like it's sealed?

no that makes no sense. You cant go as big as you want or your speaker will free air and u cant tune as low as you want because you wont hit higher freq. notes. If you tune low for rap music your box will **** at rock. same the other way around. The size and tuning of your box is more important than your woofer amp batteries etc...You have a **** box your whole system is **** plain and simple

You cant go as big as you want or your speaker will free air
this may be true. But high qts driver should be able to handle it. The SA15's qts is 0.65 which is pretty high. It needs a big box.

u cant tune as low as you want because you wont hit higher freq. notes
I don't believe that at all. That's BS. Tuning has nothing to do with anything. Just like in a sealed box, if it's too big and your QTC alignment is like 0.30, your low end will be bumped up but your high end will suffer. The opposite is true too, if the QTC is 1.0 and higher, your upper bass will slam but your low end will be gone.

In relation to ported boxes, there is a similar effect. However, it should be less noticable (in theory...) due to the ported box's design intent to get increased low end.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.