At first I was happy but now I am not.

Car is a small 2 door hatchback.

Current setup is the following.

2 cube net tuned 34 hz

Skar VVX dual 4 ohm

Hifonics Brutus 1,700

Sub and port facing rear

Voltage is good 13+ at fill tilt.

I am thinking best options would be either a better amp or a dual 2 ohm sub.

What do you think?

*edit* I have plenty of front stage, full active

Agreed, you'll want to get that amp seeing 1 ohm. Might see if you can trade that sub for something comparable in D2, that saves you having to tear it down and rebuild for the right impedance.

That is what I am thinking as well, I don't want to do any trading as I have a pair of them and I want to keep them on a shelf for another build.

So what ~$200 woofer would be best for me?

That is what I am thinking as well, I don't want to do any trading as I have a pair of them and I want to keep them on a shelf for another build.
So what ~$200 woofer would be best for me?
A little bit over 200 but double your vvx's weight in terms of beefiness. After rise it should drink up everything that brutus can put out at 1 ohm and more.

* NEW * CAB-ULTRA-12 12" 750W SUBWOOFER - Car Audio Bargain

A little bit over 200 but double your vvx's weight in terms of beefiness. After rise it should drink up everything that brutus can put out at 1 ohm and more.
* NEW * CAB-ULTRA-12 12" 750W SUBWOOFER - Car Audio Bargain
I have looked at that sub many times.

I get confused by the 2.5" coil, to me it seems like the same sub I have just with a better coil config for running a solo sub.

Is the motor stronger on the CAB sub?

EDIT* I can get a Skar VVXv3 for $139 in a dual 2 ohm, is the CAB worth $100 more?

I have looked at that sub many times.
I get confused by the 2.5" coil, to me it seems like the same sub I have just with a better coil config for running a solo sub.

Is the motor stronger on the CAB sub?

EDIT* I can get a Skar VVXv3 for $139 in a dual 2 ohm, is the CAB worth $100 more?
your vvx is 26lbs this CAB ultra is 50lbs. Its different weight class way above the VVX. Its one of the strongest 2.5 inch coils out there. People who ran it said it laughed at 1200 legit rms AKA how much your brutus might make at 1 ohm.

your vvx is 26lbs this CAB ultra is 50lbs. Its different weight class way above the VVX. Its one of the strongest 2.5 inch coils out there. People who ran it said it laughed at 1200 legit rms AKA how much your brutus might make at 1 ohm.
ok then, thank you for the info.

I will order one up.

One more question, my box is 2 cubes net after port, I would think this sub has a larger displacement (not sure how much more)

I looked for displacement on CAB's website but did not see it.

Do you think my box would be fine?

ok then, thank you for the info.
I will order one up.

One more question, my box is 2 cubes net after port, I would think this sub has a larger displacement (not sure how much more)

I looked for displacement on CAB's website but did not see it.

Do you think my box would be fine?
might work but It might want a bigger box or the same box with more port area.

might work but It might want a bigger box or the same box with more port area.
I don't want to start a new thread if I don't have to.

Can you explain this part to me some?

If my box is 2 cubes and tuned to 34 how does port area work / effect things?

I have never quite understood that.

Can 2 boxes be tuned to the same frequency, be the same size, yet have different port areas?

Can 2 boxes be tuned to the same frequency, be the same size, yet have different port areas?
Yes you can have 2 of the same size box but different port area because you can have two different sized ports for each box.

beefier subs with more xmax usually require more port area due to how much they can displace. Too little port area you run into compression and port noise and lose output. A lot of port area would make it hard to achieve a lower tuning unless you significantly increase size and at a certain point you start losing output and sound quality. Port design plays the biggest role in how loud and good sounding you get. could very well be that your "custom" box is not really custom at all and is at best a slightly better than prefab box loudness wise if it wasnt built and designed by someone that knows how to get loud.

they wont be the same size. The box with more port area will be bigger because the overall gross volume has to be bigger if you want to retain 2 cubic feet net and have a bigger port. You have to take into account how much space the port and subwoofer takes up and subtract that from the box to get the actual usable amount of airspace aka net airspace. here's some examples.

low port area

yv7SqV.jpg

high port area

Hx30l7.jpg

The newer vvx's arent nearly as good as the one jacob designed (v1).

Yes the cab is an upgrade over the vvx.

Others to look at in price range; xfl d2, hds300 d2, fu750 d2.

The newer vvx's arent nearly as good as the one jacob designed (v1).
Yes the cab is an upgrade over the vvx.

Others to look at in price range; xfl d2, hds300 d2, fu750 d2.
my VVX is the 1st version, with that in mind is it really a new driver I need or am I having a box / power problem?

beefier subs with more xmax usually require more port area due to how much they can displace. Too little port area you run into compression and port noise and lose output. A lot of port area would make it hard to achieve a lower tuning unless you significantly increase size and at a certain point you start losing output and sound quality. Port design plays the biggest role in how loud and good sounding you get. could very well be that your "custom" box is not really custom at all and is at best a slightly better than prefab box loudness wise if it wasnt built and designed by someone that knows how to get loud.
they wont be the same size. The box with more port area will be bigger because the overall gross volume has to be bigger if you want to retain 2 cubic feet net and have a bigger port. You have to take into account how much space the port and subwoofer takes up and subtract that from the box to get the actual usable amount of airspace aka net airspace. here's some examples.

low port area

yv7SqV.jpg

high port area

Hx30l7.jpg
I'll be honest, when I see all the numbers I just kinda John Kuthe on them.

I don't get it. At least I am smart enough to say it.

Here are my box dimensions, can you tell me how they look?

Width: 23"

Depth: 16 1/2"

Height: 13 1/2"

Gross Airspace: 2.27 Cu.Ft.

Net Airspace: 2.0 Cu.Ft.

Port Dimensions: 12" x 1 3/4" x 22 3/8"

Tuned @ 33Hz

Port Volume: .27

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.