Not getting the sound I want.

Lighteningbird

I have 2 12" dimond d6 in a ported box. The box was build at the shop where I got my subs. I have a alpine amp putting about 500 watts rms per sub. The issue I have is with the sound quality. When listening to music I can hear the bass guitar good but I can't get the thump I want from the drums. I adjusted my crossover to 60 hertz and I lose all volume. If it put it at 80 hertz it's loud. I don't know if it's my sub, amp or box that is my problem. Any help will be appreciated.

Yep, did the shop that built the custom box discuss it with you, need to know the box size, vol cubic ft, port size and length, what is it tuned to? Check winisd to see what it looks like on the graph. Is it too boomy, try adjusting your gain setting, if there too high you can get boomyness and delays. If the box is tuned too a higher frequency you can experience issues there as well. Since you paid to have the custom subwoofer enclosure built I would go back to the builder let him listen to it, explain how it's tuned and what your amp settings are at. If they are good this shouldn't be a problem and they will assist you with explaining how the box is built and what your amp settings are and how to adjust to your preference. I built my own box with the help of an experience installer and it took me a few days to adjust and change setting on the amp to get it to where I'm 100% happy with it. I have enough materials and am going to build another ported box tuned a bit lower with a flatter curve and build a sealed box and listen to the differences. Building a custom ported box is a bit more challenging in that you have to build it according to the subwoofers specifications, your listening preferences, and the car and stereo system itself. An experienced customer builder has the advantage of having built a lot of boxes and I think can get it closer than the novice such as myself but even then what the customer builder thinks you are looking for may not turn out exactly as you invisioned...

From measuring the box it looks like I have 1.293 cubic feet per speaker. The port is rectangle that 14.5" height 3" wide and 32" long. The port goes the length of the side and down the back.

From measuring the box it looks like I have 1.293 cubic feet per speaker. The port is rectangle that 14.5" height 3" wide and 32" long. The port goes the length of the side and down the back.
That is quite lacking in air space for a 12" ported....that would be better if the box were sealed.

What are the actual measurements of the box? And maybe a pic?

I have 2 12" dimond d6 in a ported box. The box was build at the shop where I got my subs. I have a alpine amp putting about 500 watts rms per sub. The issue I have is with the sound quality. When listening to music I can hear the bass guitar good but I can't get the thump I want from the drums. I adjusted my crossover to 60 hertz and I lose all volume. If it put it at 80 hertz it's loud. I don't know if it's my sub, amp or box that is my problem. Any help will be appreciated.
well, 80hz is as low as you really want to go, if you rely on the sub for more of the Kick drums. With what little has been describe about the actual install, you might try rotating, moving the box around to find a better resonant position too.

sounds like it may be tuned too low..the subs call for 1.25^3, so you should be ok there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.