Not as loud as I thought

npbow

Iowa
Hi all first time post with question. I have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma xtra cab and I installed a sony mex 100 bt that is supposed to have 40 watts rms x 4, JL C2-650 6 inch components 4 ohms in front and Jbl gto 6x9 in rear it is ok loud and clear when turned up to near max but I expected it to be much louder, do the speakers need more watts ?. I don't know if this matters I used the original speaker wires. Any info would be appreciated.

That mega bass button front and center doe //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif
yeah its a lil cheesy and it sony... but that 24 bit dac, Time alignment, 10 band EQ and 5 volt pre-out and inherent 40 watts rms per channel aint no joke. Pretty good sh*t for the average joe. Not something i'd run myself but i'd have no problems recommending this to non bassheads, put this in two setups for some buddies and they all sounded way better after the switch and tune even with stock speakers.

As far as the wires they are 14 gauge coming out of the head unit and 14 gauge is what the instructions say to use I will try 10 to see if its better. As far as loud do get me wrong it gets loud I just expect more from going stock to 40 watts rms .The stock unit was loud but sounded like **** this sound is very clear but I expected much louder .Also do the speaker crossovers use a lot of watts ? Does anyway know how many rms watts the stock stereo in a 2004 Tacoma puts so maybe I will have so kind of comparison

As far as the wires they are 14 gauge coming out of the head unit and 14 gauge is what the instructions say to use I will try 10 to see if its better. As far as loud do get me wrong it gets loud I just expect more from going stock to 40 watts rms .The stock unit was loud but sounded like **** this sound is very clear but I expected much louder .Also do the speaker crossovers use a lot of watts ? Does anyway know how many rms watts the stock stereo in a 2004 Tacoma puts so maybe I will have so kind of comparison
yeah speaker crossovers limit the power a good amount. I havent used a passive crossover in ages and will never go back to one since i'm going active all the times. Power doesnt necessarily mean louder, it just means more clarity and detail brought out in the music, you get just as loud as your stock stereo but its not gonna sound like garbage at higher volume anymore. If you wanted loud, you needed to get more sensitive speakers that get louder on the same power. Its not gonna automatically make your ear blow out, you are gaining at most 3 dbs from the whole swap and thats not much.

Ok then that explains it I can turn it to max and it is very clear as when stock was just as loud but turned a little past half volume and it started to sound bad. What are your thought about a 2 channel amp for front how many watts if I want louder and just run the rear jbl off the head unit for fill and base

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.