Noob question. Need help.

Alimoose
10+ year member

I have a Hifonics BXi 1606D with 2 12" Alpine Type-rs.

There are 5 knobs (level, phase, low pass, bass eq, sub sonic) to mess with and I have no idea what to do, well sorta.

I looked around and apparently I'm suppose to "Set my volume 3/4s on my headunit" and then mess with, which i guessed, the "level" setting on my amp.

Well, I usually listen to my music at around the volume of 20 (of 50) which isn't too loud, but loud enough for me, but the subwoofer isn't loud enough to my taste.

So I decided to mess around with the knobs and basically I got this.

Level (9v - .2v) = Max (.2v)

Phase (0 - 180) = 180

Low Pass (35Hz - 250Hz) = 11 o clock

Bass EQ (0db - 18db) = 12 o clock

Sub Sonic (15Hz - 50Hz) = 8.5 o clock

There isn't any clipping (or at least I don't hear any distortion), there isn't the smell of voice coils burning, there IS slight dim, but barely visible. There is a light show if I turn the volume above 25 on the head unit. The head unit is on FLAT eq, with loudness enabled.

Anyways, my question is, is this bad? I just want to be able to hear my music at mid-volume, but have the bass slapping.

Let me know. Thanks!

the loudness setting has a tendancy to clip speakers id take it easy with that if you can. my pioneers loudness setting has low mid and high and ive got it set to mid

I guess I didnt ask my question correctly, lol. I know my voltages are dropping due to not having a great electrical system. I'm on a Die Hard Gold battery with stock alternator. I have 2 gauge wires for the BIG 3, but I'm actually doing BIG 2, since I didn't install the last wire for the alternator to the battery yet.

I guess my question is, would it harm my amp or anything else if I have the "level" on max? Because I heard a lot of people talking about how the gain setting shouldn't be on max and to never touch the BASS EQ on the amp. Is this right? I'm not playing my music anywhere near above 2/3 volume. More like 2/5 volume with the loudness enabled, which isn't even that loud. Only loud part is the woofers slapping.

And thanks about the Loudness setting about clipping, I didnt know that. It just sounds much clearer whenever I have the Loudness setting on for my JVC headunit.

when u say "level" do u mean subwoofer level? that should be max, but loudness should be off imo

my head unit does "subwoofer volume" and i set it to max of 6, but i have bass and loudness off

Well, I'm talking about the AMP itself. There is a "level" knob.

My settings as stated above are

Level (9v - .2v) = Max (.2v)

Phase (0 - 180) = 180

Low Pass (35Hz - 250Hz) = 11 o clock

Bass EQ (0db - 18db) = 12 o clock

Sub Sonic (15Hz - 50Hz) = 8.5 o clock

Would this be fine for the amp? People said the "gain" setting (which I have no idea what the "gain" setting is for this, which I would assume is the level knob) shouldn't be on max and the BASS EQ shouldn't even be touched.

Yours has the phase knob too? my active sub has this and I never understood it entirely. do you know what it does exactly?

and the gain/level should not be up all the way... It's more difficult to detect distortion from a sub and therefore easier to do some dayumage

Yor gain is probably the "Level" control or whichever one changes the loudness of the sub the most... If your lights are dimming and you have the gain cranked you may clip the signal since you dont have the electrical to sapport the power and most of the time thats how clipping is caused... least thats what I have read

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.