Noise in system

Participant count
  • Participant list

qtipextra
5,000+ posts

The Original
Ive had this problem for quite some time now, and now its really bad. When I have my car running, I press pause on my HU (Or have the volume moderatley low) and I hear this high pitch screaching sound, which gets louder or worse when I turn on my AC/heater. If I turn my HU off, the sound is off. The pitch of the sound also differs at different RPM levels. What can I do to fix this?

You guys have bad grounds somewhere. Start by removing the antenna from the head unit and put a CD on pause. If that doesn't work, remove one of the RCA leads at the head unit (left or right on the front, reconnect and repeat for the back as well as the subs). Do the same with the RCAs at the amps. Try swapping left and right channels at the amps to see if the whine moves. Check the speaker leads and the amp ground as well as the head unit ground. Ultimately the problem is in a ground somewhere. Make sure your grounds are SOLID and on bare metal. If you have to, change the ground to another place to test it. Also, avoid getting a ground loop isolator or a whine choke... they don't work the way you may be thinking.

You guys have bad grounds somewhere. Start by removing the antenna from the head unit and put a CD on pause. If that doesn't work, remove one of the RCA leads at the head unit (left or right on the front, reconnect and repeat for the back as well as the subs). Do the same with the RCAs at the amps. Try swapping left and right channels at the amps to see if the whine moves. Check the speaker leads and the amp ground as well as the head unit ground. Ultimately the problem is in a ground somewhere. Make sure your grounds are SOLID and on bare metal. If you have to, change the ground to another place to test it. Also, avoid getting a ground loop isolator or a whine choke... they don't work the way you may be thinking.
Yep, it was directly at my battery terminal. I cant believe I didnt check that before. Thats SO much better.

sproket, i used your method couldn't get it to work. I even try to connect the ground directly from the batter terminal and that didn't help either. One thing I noticed was when I leave 2 rca plugged into the 4-ch amp, and started the car, no sound. As soon as i plug the other 2 rca into the amp, sound started to come on. But when the engine is off, everything works like it suppose to. wth?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.