No sound from speakers on 950.4 help please

Participant count
  • Participant list

Reedtech

FL
Edit:Fixed! Had a bad ground for the 950.4 amp, changed its location from the seat bolt to frame itself.

I'm a novice at this and have taken a planned approach at wiring and installing the HU and Amp's properly. I used butt connecters, high end speaker wire, kicker 8 awg for power and ground on both amps. There is a 100amp fuse on the power going to the 1000watt I have for my 2 12'' infinity gold subs in a sealed box. I'm using a 60amp on the 950.4. Both amps have separate power ran from the battery directly to the amp. I used 8awg gold ring connectors and bought an extended side post battery bolt with an accessory fitting on the back for extra ring connectors for my amps power. I used rosin core solder and filled the connectors and covered it in heat shrink. I did this with every fitting in the system, butt connectors, rings connectors, heat shrink, quality stripped. I hooked up male end quick disconnects and expanded the little hole to fit the screw in the speaker terminals on the amps for the speaker wire. I then connected the speaker wire directly to the vehicles wire harness adapter. I connected all the cables for the HU and added a custom carbon fiber remote toggle switch in my surround. I connected my HU's chassis ground the the frame but first sanded it down to metal and connected bolts with spacers to secure it. I capped off an extra ground coming from the vehicle harness called chassis ground and another called ground. I also capped off the power antenna wire aswell as the ground cable from the HU. I figured the chassis ground was enough because that's how I did it before I installed the 950.4 and only had the subs. My HU has 3 pre amp out puts and I have 3 kicker 16ft RCAS going into the designated ports, rear, front, and sub. The 1000watt amp for the sub is grounded to the frame of the trunk on sanded down metal with a bolt and washer. the 950.4 is grounded to the driver seat mount bolt which is all sanded aswell to ruff up the factory finish. Both grounds have good ring connectors. The 950.4 is using all 4 channels as such, channel 1 and 2 are the front speakers, and 3,4 are the rear. I'm running two Kicker 5 1/4 in front ratted to 275, two sony xplod 3 way 6x9 rated at 420. Two stock tweeters in door I am replacing with kicker tweeters. I have the most recent sony HU 200 bucks can buy, not sure the name but it has everything I need.

amps: Autotek 1000.1 SM , Autotek ATX 950.4

My problem is there is no sound in any of the speakers hooked up to the 950.4.

the power light is on, I replaced the 30amp fuse.

Subs work great still!

My suspicion is the capped grounds behind the HU. Please tell me its that simple.

as it is now, I have done ALOT of work today and hope someone can help me verify that by tomorrow if that could even be an possible cause for no sound to any speaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
are you sure you have the correct rca's connected to the correct amp? also how many earth/grounds did you wire up behind your deck?
Yeah, the RCA's are straight. But the ground isn't, I did not wire an earth ground, just the HU's chassis ground to the frame metal.

Take a 3.5mm to RCA cable and plug one end into your phone /cd player / ipod and the RCAs into your amp. If sound comes out from your speakers then most likely its a connection before your amp or the head unit itself. If sound doesn't come out then it's more than likely the amp itself.

Also double check fuses to make sure nothings blown

Take a 3.5mm to RCA cable and plug one end into your phone /cd player / ipod and the RCAs into your amp. If sound comes out from your speakers then most likely its a connection before your amp or the head unit itself. If sound doesn't come out then it's more than likely the amp itself.
Also double check fuses to make sure nothings blown
Ok, I changed all the fuses, read up on the harness and hu manuals and am connecting the HU and Harness Chassis ground to the same spot on the frame and I am splicing the harnesses amplifier ground to the same spot.

Will be back with results.

Ok I fixed it, It was NOT the ground from behind the HU and Harness, although I did go ahead and hook it up properly anyway.

I went to the ground on the amp itself and disconnected it from the seat bolt and touched it to a bolt on the door. The speakers started working instantly.

From this point I found a nice spot under the side panel to screw a pilot hole for a grounded bolt and washer and hooked up the amps ground there.

All works well and am going to tune it shortly.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.