no sound all of a sudden...any idea's why???

justchillin
10+ year member

DC Metro
all of a sudden my speakers (all 4) just stopped working...i checked the connections and everything was ok... but inside my door panels is a little wet (it rained today) and i was wondering if that could cause this??? if so once everything dries will they start to work again???

what can i do to stop this from happening???

thanks

also my head unit seems fine otherwise so i don't think it's a blown fuse...

i've seen a sony HU that when one of the four speaker's wires came loose and shorted to the metal of the car... all was silent. after reconnecting that one loose wire all was good again. maybe you should double and triple check all of your connections and test each speaker (especially the wet one) while you have it out and disconnected.

i checked the connections again and they all seem fine...it's my factory hu (i've been trying to save up for my new one)...have you ever heard of a head units speaker connetors just going bad all at once...i have no idea what else to check besides the speaker connections...and since the hu still gets power it can't be a fuse...i'm stumpted???

this is gonna **** since i can't afford a new hu any time soon...

if anyone can think of any other possiblities please let me know...tonight was bad enough, i don't know how long i can get by with no music in the ride...

can you test each one of the speakers in a friends car? just to rule out that it may be a speaker problem. if the speakers work in a friends car the next step would be to run a test wire from your HU to each speaker to ensure the cars wiring is all good. if the speakers all work and the test wire does not work the the problem is definately the HU. do you have an amplifier you could install in your car for the speakers?

Uninstall everything and re install it making sure nothing is touching or anything. If that doesn't work, start saving ya nickels and dimes for a new set up!!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

just had a thought...everything was working fine untill i installed the crossovers that came with my kappas...if one of the crossovers was bad could that cause my problem???

that is the only thing that changed before everything stopped working...

yes, and if you want a cheap way to test. remove the hu un hook the speakers plug (if harrnesses were used behind the hu) and get a volt meter measure impedence and or get a nine volt battery and pop the speakers testing their connections. if it has a really high impegdence somthing is wrong it may even show up as a short. total cost under 30 bucks total time under 5 minutes...i work as an installer and that is how we trouble shoot speakers...water shouldnt killem they have to take some weathering otherwise they wouldnt be going into a car.... car doors all leak water inside havent seen one yet that didnt

it's my factory hu...anyone know how to remove the hu in a 2000 civic si???

i've heard that it involves taking the whole front dash apart...

would simply removing the crossover fix the problem for now???? assuming that a bad crossover is the problem...

thanks for all the help...

you still gotta take it apart from the brain side (sorry i didnt see that u still had the factory hu in there my bad) i would suggest buying a metra harness for your car to give you a refference to the wiring in your harrness. there is really no "easy" way to check you might get lucky testing the xover but doing it the way im showing you will give you greater understanding of trouble shooting as a whole and if you are a determined diyer it would be great practice to do it. i am an installer myself with great respect for the shade tree installers...without them car audio would only be 2/3's to under half as large as it is today. key to it is doing it and learning how to check....dash disassembly isnt that bad once you have done it a few times... 90 honda accord for example ..i used to **** at them cause they have 2-3 hidden screws wayyyyyyyyy back in the dash used to take me 1-2 hours (first time i did it) now it takes me 35 minutes total tops:)

ehm...

I own a civic from 2001 and I have a normal radio in it which i can remove using the supplied removal irons....

When I changed some thingies on the board computer I did have to remove a big part of the dash, but not for the radoi....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.