Newbie hoping for advice and opinions

Brettdb11

Hello everyone, my name is Brett and it feels great to finally be able to ask these questions (sorry, newbie with new found wealth). I just bought a 2004 accord coupe V6 and want to put an awesome system in it (more concerned with sound QUALITY). I have been envious of friends over the past 10 yrs with good systems. I have recently graduated from college and can install a system of my dreams.

Components currently looking at (better for price please respond)

Alpine IVA-D901 (in-dash monitor)

Alpine NVE-N852A (navigation system)

Focal 165W3 (front fill)

Jl Audio 12W6v2

Amps DONT KNOW (read a lot of + reviews of ZAPCO on this site, which models to run focal up front and which to run sub in trunk????)

I am concerned with the following and need ADVICE????

1. Does anyone know a good installer in the Saint, Louis MO area? (thinking about going to Custom Sounds but heard a few horror stories)

2. What will it cost to install? I am not a DIY!! I would like a clean install, something simple that looks great. Custom made pods for the front and would like a custom box made for the trunk. I will have to have them reinforce my car with dynomat--trunk and doors for sure.

3. Would I need two 12's to get good quality bass?

4. Do I need rear fill in a coupe?

5. Is this a good system?

6. Would I need to upgrade my battery and altenator? Are capacitors really needed?

Thanks for all your Help,

Brett

Not that I am some pro but what you have planned sounds better to me than most veterans got.

BEWARE though..Some on here Hate Newbies..But Stick around..People will help

You will get alot of Diffrent views..But I think you got a AMAZING starter System!!

I would buy it!!!

Personally I am biased towards ARC Audio Amps for SQ..and it's they guy that used to do all Zapco's stuff...IF you got the loot then check them out. But Again.You'll get alot of OPINIONS on here about that!!!

Amps DONT KNOW (read a lot of + reviews of ZAPCO on this site, which models to run focal up front and which to run sub in trunk????)
Zapco, Arc Audio, Tru Technology, US Amps are all really good amps.

1. Does anyone know a good installer in the Saint, Louis MO area? (thinking about going to Custom Sounds but heard a few horror stories)
Nope, sorry

2. What will it cost to install? I am not a DIY!! I would like a clean install, something simple that looks great. Custom made pods for the front and would like a custom box made for the trunk. I will have to have them reinforce my car with dynomat--trunk and doors for sure.
Too much //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif For custom pods, two amps, navigation system, and a custom box/trunk install.....expect it to be around $1500 (+/- a few hundred) for a reputable shop with a good track record.

3. Would I need two 12's to get good quality bass?
Depends on your needs. Generally, one should be enough. Two isn't "required"

4. Do I need rear fill in a coupe?
Only if you are going a 5.1 surround sound system. Otherwise, you only need fronts.

5. Is this a good system?
Sounds really good actually

6. Would I need to upgrade my battery and altenator? Are capacitors really needed?
Batter and alt; Hard to say, depends on what amps you get, your listening habits, the health of your current charging system, etc etc. Really no way to know until you get everything installed and playing.

Caps aren't worth shit. Don't waste your money

In my situation with the Install I am doing all of the Installation that does not require an "Expert"..I am doing the Dynamat..The Install kit for the H/U and stock speaker locations. But for Tuning, component imaging and Amp install/tweaking..I am willing to drop a few bills to get it done by someone who has done 1000 of these systems..but thats my lazy ass!!

i'm on the ill side. i've got alotta friends that went to custom sounds in alton and all there s hit turned out sweet. i personally like communication concepts in glen carbon.

618-692-6025. . . i think. they do REALLY good work.

after playing around with my current sh!tty (stock) system on my Accord re: rear fill, my opinion is that I need it - sound is missing without them. Look at an overhead of where the front seat is in a car and you'll notice that you're more than 1/3 of the way behind the front speakers and the fronts are firing sideways, not like at home where you face your speakers.

I'm a newbie too and took considerable time designing my current system. Another importnat thing to me was getting a HU with a time delay since one sits at different distances to all speakers - this will really make it sound great.

I got the Kenwood Woox small powered sub and that's gonna go inside, not in the trunk - it'll be all the bass I need.

AS for amps I got Soundstream - their VGA line has some incredible stats - very low THD.

after playing around with my current sh!tty (stock) system on my Accord re: rear fill, my opinion is that I need it - sound is missing without them.
Sure, on a stock stereo. Get a good set of properly installed components with upwards of 100w per side, and they'll get louder than you'll every need (so you won't even hear the rears in all likelyhood). Also, most factory highs leave most of the lower octaves for the 6x9s or whatever in the rear, whereas a good comp set will be able to play down to ~50-60hz with easy (which is probably what's "missing" without the rears).

that's the problem with my setup - I want to keep the speakers where they are - can't really aim them and don't wanna put them in floor pods. YES, you're right, ideally, if you can aim your speakers right to your ears you won't need them but in a 4 door with stock locartions it's noticeable.

sorry, I used the wrong terminology, I meant to say "installed", not necessarily "aimed". Aftermarket mids in stock locations can sound very good and get very loud with a proper installation.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help; I have spent the last couple days researching products and skimming posts. I went and tried out a few HU(monitors) today and the eclipse line was pretty sweet. I guess it comes down to a combination of performance and looks because they (Alpine 9100 & Eclipse 2454) are both awesome units.

Thanks 3.5Max, I am going to PM him for advice!!!!!!

Just wanted to say thanks for the help; I have spent the last couple days researching products and skimming posts. I went and tried out a few HU(monitors) today and the eclipse line was pretty sweet. I guess it comes down to a combination of performance and looks because they (Alpine 9100 & Eclipse 2454) are both awesome units.
Thanks 3.5Max, I am going to PM him for advice!!!!!!
You should- he's done numerous installs and has tried different things in that car so he might have some good insight for you as far as speaker sizing and placement(particularly in the rear where thers some nice space), as well as some rattle issues, and what could work best in your situation-

Good luck!Sweet ride.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/toast.gif.bc0657bf54b9ee653b6438524461341e.gif

just so you know the zapco is **** expensive i mean i'd love to run some of their stuff but you may want to look into a cheaper alternative there are many many brands out there that are plenty high quality for a good bit cheaper

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.