newb here, Distorted 6x9s

Participant count
  • Participant list

lamecrap

G, il
calling all people who know what the hell they are doing, unlike me, lol

I just bought a pair of audiobahn as69Q 6x9s and installed them in my rear deck. I had to remove the insulation that surrounded the old speakers due to the size of the magnets on the new ones. The new 6x9s sound distorted when I have the balance centered, but when I have just one speaker on, left or right, they sound great. I am about %75 confident that my wiring was done properly. I figured that my stock tape deck wasnt pushing enough power for my speakers, they are rated at 200 watts RMS. I went out and had a pioneer headunit installed thinking that would correct the problem, but I still have the same problem, sounds better with just the left or the right rear on though.

Am I still not pushing enough power to the 6x9s?

Could my wiring be bad?

where can I find new insulation for my rear deck speakers?

why am I such an idiot?

who are you people?

and

how did I get here?

At low levels, there is almost no detectable bass. when I turn it up to 1/4 to 1/2 it sounds distorted.

When I have just the rear left or right on, the bass is clear and crisp.

I really don't know alot about car audio, so im kinda lost to begin with.

I would redo the wiring if it was me. I am pretty sure one of the speakers is wired backwards.

oh and by the way, the pioneer headunit is probably putting out around 20 watts rms, those speakers are doing 200. I dont know how audiobahn midranges perform but those seem like they need to be amped. Either way they shouldnt be distorting even being run by a headunit.

1. loose/bad wiring (maybe run new wires... you can get a spool of cheap speaker wire for a couple dollars at walmart)

2. maybe u just got a pair of whack speakers? did u buy them used?

they should sound decent even hooked up to a pioneer deck...

btw what year and what car is this in??

btw what year and what car is this in??
96 Merc Grand Marquee

2. maybe u just got a pair of whack speakers? did u buy them used?
Bought two sets(cheap) unused, one for my car, one for my truck, both sound the same way in my car, havnt gotten to my truck yet.

The boxes were still sealed and the contents of the package looked untouched.

Thanks for the sugestions.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.