New, Upgraded System.. Less Quality??

Participant count
  • Participant list

dawgs007

Low-End Fanatic
Ohio
I have a 1997 LeSabre with a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X30 head unit and Hertz Audio 5.25" in front and Hertz 6x9 in rear deck. This system just recently replaced a cheap-o Dual head unit with stock Concert Sound II speakers. It sounded okay, but the drivers side speaker didnt work (later found out it simply wasnt plugged in).

It seems that the new, upgraded system is quiter and almost seems like it sounds worse than the old cheap one it replaced. The only difference I know is that the stock system had components and tweeters in the door and this new system was just one single component in each door.

It seemd that the soundstage is focused in the back and the 6x9's are doing 90% of all of the work and the 5.25's are just barely even there. Just wondering if DTA, EQ, etc changes may make it a whole different animal? It WAS and still is a system without an amp so that wouldn't be the issue I wouldn't think... and all of the speakers are wired properly at + to + and - to -.

The stock system had a splitter plug for the tweeter/components in the front doors but I wouldn't assume that only using 1 of the 2 connections for the new 5.25's would hurt anything?

Thanks in advance guys! Just hoping to make this new system as good/better than the old one it replaced!

I have a 1997 LeSabre with a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X30 head unit and Hertz Audio 5.25" in front and Hertz 6x9 in rear deck. This system just recently replaced a cheap-o Dual head unit with stock Concert Sound II speakers. It sounded okay, but the drivers side speaker didnt work (later found out it simply wasnt plugged in).
It seems that the new, upgraded system is quiter and almost seems like it sounds worse than the old cheap one it replaced. The only difference I know is that the stock system had components and tweeters in the door and this new system was just one single component in each door.

It seemd that the soundstage is focused in the back and the 6x9's are doing 90% of all of the work and the 5.25's are just barely even there. Just wondering if DTA, EQ, etc changes may make it a whole different animal? It WAS and still is a system without an amp so that wouldn't be the issue I wouldn't think... and all of the speakers are wired properly at + to + and - to -.

The stock system had a splitter plug for the tweeter/components in the front doors but I wouldn't assume that only using 1 of the 2 connections for the new 5.25's would hurt anything?

Thanks in advance guys! Just hoping to make this new system as good/better than the old one it replaced!
I'd run new speaker wire because most likely the splitter was also somewhat of a crossover that might be limiting frequencies to your front 5.25 compared to a full range signal with the rears.

Stock speakers had a stock baffle that was properly done. If you didn't recreate the stock baffle nor do any proper acoustical treatments, there is no wonder it sounds worse than the old system. Bundled along with the system not being amped then you got the makings of a horrible sounding setup. Aftermarkets need power to amount to anything sad to say. You also should have done components, even if the sound stage is not drowned out by the rears, the sound stage will always be stuck by your feet and never at eye level where it should have been.

Can you also correct your head unit model, you have a typo there is it the x300 or x301 or x302?

I apologize, it is the KDC-X302. I can definitely cut the splitter out and run one solid wire from there if it may help, it just looks like a simple splitter, nothing technical. Worth a shot though!

I agree on going with components instead of the single speaker system but would the additional 3 inches of height that the tweeters were above the 5.25 make the world of difference that it changed to be? I really appreciate you going so in-depth with me!

I apologize, it is the KDC-X302. I can definitely cut the splitter out and run one solid wire from there if it may help, it just looks like a simple splitter, nothing technical. Worth a shot though!
I agree on going with components instead of the single speaker system but would the additional 3 inches of height that the tweeters were above the 5.25 make the world of difference that it changed to be? I really appreciate you going so in-depth with me!
Its not just that, a component set will have a much better designed crossover system which delegates the job of music reproduction better splitting the signal to have the tweeter and mids do their jobs specifically and smoothly. Main thing is to have the tweeters on axis or firing at a proper angle to get the best rsponse to your ears. tweeters are very angle dependent, if you have them firing all willy nilly, then they are practically useless imo aka your coaxial speakers.

There might be a splitter there but along the way where you cant see stuff, there might be an inline crossover/filter somewhere. Some cars have it, some dont so dont cut anything, just run a new wire. But i'm willing to bet the sensitivity of the new hertz speaker is lower along with higher ohm loads. You definitely need an amp to get anything worthwhile out of the speakers. Also try utilizing every tuning option thats on the kenwood deck. It has a lot of options.

This is what I'm talking about with the installation. Running aftermarkets is pretty much useless without these install techniques.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.