New to forum built custom box

thorpe991

US
Hello

Over the past 3 weeks or so i have been building a sub box for my 05 silverado that goes between the center console an dash. I put a 8" planet audio ac8d in it wired to 2ohms wired to a planet audio 1000watt 2 channel it sounds good but its not loud enough.

The box is sealed an has a volume of .54ft3 the specs for the sub say for sealed needs .35ft3 and for ported .9ft3.

Would porting my box an to the walls make it louder? the port i was looking to add is a 2"diameter by 5" length. Which will tune it to 46htz. Now i know i wont have the proper volume. But will it make it louder?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Okay so since im bigger than whats recommended for sealed would that make it quieter? I just dont understand why im getting very little sound out of it. The sub has lots of movement just not much sound

1000 rms watts, but since it's mediocre planet audio I'm gonna guess anywhere from 600-800 clean should make the 8 incher pound. A new ported box for that 8 should sound louder....and tuned to 35Hz. 46 is too high imo.

Plus it's not a non mainstream sub, so your trying to get that thing to sound like 2 12's good luck on that one.

Okay so since im bigger than whats recommended for sealed would that make it quieter? I just dont understand why im getting very little sound out of it. The sub has lots of movement just not much sound
The size of the sealed box will change freq response. If the woofer is dual voice coil make sure it's the coils arnt wired out of phase or something weird. Check everything twice.

Okay an the box how would i calculate deplacment of the sub in the box cause that will change my volume aas i said its .54ft3 thats with out the sub though an i will have to recheck my wiring i guess

Download xplicit audio app it has a nice box calc. Look up the manufacture specs on displacement of the woofer and type all the info into the box calc and it will tell you

So after figuring out the sub displacement it drops the volume down to .52ft3 so it must be my wireing or amp

Yeah its a extcab silverado tomarrow ill take some pics just a heads up the 8s box isnt finished needs to be beautified an wiring ran properly

Yeah its a extcab silverado tomarrow ill take some pics just a heads up the 8s box isnt finished needs to be beautified an wiring ran properly
Running multiple sized subwoofers in the car is one of the taboos in car audio bud.you will run into a thing called cancellation which is basically negative bass.

Running multiple sized subwoofers in the car is one of the taboos in car audio bud.you will run into a thing called cancellation which is basically negative bass.
Think he was replying to my comment.

I'm not saying your running 12's....it almost sounds like your expecting too much out of that little 8.

Well even if i unhook the 12s i still get very little out of my 8 lots of cone movment an not much sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.