new to car audio, please comment on this proposed system

jcmuse
10+ year member

florida
2011 Hyundai Sonata

Using stock HU

Will just be running the fronts, and will swap 1 rear with the kicker sub and disconnect the other rear.

Proposed Components:

Amp: Alpine MRP-F300 - Amplifier - V-Power - 4-channel $137.15

Sub: Kicker 6.5Inch Shallow Mount Subwoofer 4 Ohm $60

Fronts: MB Quart Premium PVI216 6.5" 2-Way Component/Convertible Coaxial Speakers $132.43

Line converter: PAC SOEM-4 4-Channel Premium Line-Out Converter with Remote Turn-On Trigger $28.61

Amp/install Kit: Tsunami AMP04BL-RCA 4 Gauge/1600 Watt Amplifier Install Kit with RCA and MANL Fuse Holder (Blue) $54.99

Total: $413.13

how does this look? im open to suggestions. I dont want to spend more than i have to, but will upgrade a component if needed. Keep in mind im not looking for super loud sound/bass. just good SQ at regular listening levels.

How many RMS/channel is the Alpine amp? It should be a lot if you're going to run both a sub and comp pair off of it. I wouldn't go with a 6.5" or a shallow-mounted sub. You're not going to get good bass out of a 6.5" sub. I have two Kicker 8" subs which are superb and made my own small kick panels for them. They can handle any volume you throw at them and are not boomy or punchy. Very realistic. I never heard MB Quart speakers. I would look into JL Audio components or Infinity Perfect comps. I have ADS comps which are fantastic but not made anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
2011 Hyundai SonataUsing stock HU

Will just be running the fronts, and will swap 1 rear with the kicker sub and disconnect the other rear.

Proposed Components:

Amp: Alpine MRP-F300 - Amplifier - V-Power - 4-channel $137.15

Sub: Kicker 6.5Inch Shallow Mount Subwoofer 4 Ohm $60

Fronts: MB Quart Premium PVI216 6.5" 2-Way Component/Convertible Coaxial Speakers $132.43

Line converter: PAC SOEM-4 4-Channel Premium Line-Out Converter with Remote Turn-On Trigger $28.61

Amp/install Kit: Tsunami AMP04BL-RCA 4 Gauge/1600 Watt Amplifier Install Kit with RCA and MANL Fuse Holder (Blue) $54.99

Total: $413.13

how does this look? im open to suggestions. I dont want to spend more than i have to, but will upgrade a component if needed. Keep in mind im not looking for super loud sound/bass. just good SQ at regular listening levels.
why on earth do you think that doing this will be an upgrade? i understand that you're trying to upgrade with as little money as possible, but you're talking SQ. this will sound totally uneven and just plain dumb. it would be better to just delete the kicker sub altogether and just run the mb quarts. just cause most guys are buy 10's or 12's and running 1000watts to them doesn't mean that, that's all those subs can do. goto any audio shop and tell em what you're looking todo, the 1st thing they'll do is turn on a single 10 or 12 in a sealed box with like 150watts to it.

yeah the kickers were a dumb idea, but hey, i'm new to this.

i ended up ordering a Kenwood XR-4S 1200w and Hertz ESK 165s components. Going to hook this up first, then decide on a sub down the road. im so used to hearing music without a real subwoofer im not sure ill even miss it.

that 4 chan will do what he wants, he can bridge the front and rear channels to run the comps, and if he wants to go with a sub down the road he can put them on the front channels and bridge the rears to a small sq sub, maybe one of the 12" mb quart rwe

actually, i was just planning on using the first 2 channels for fronts, and bridging the second 2 for the sub. i will never run rears, screw them! this will get me 120rms for fronts, and 300 rms for sub. Please correct me if im wrong. also, will check out that sq sub, still looking for one, leaning towards ID atm.

i kind of have the same sort of set up as you right now.

I'm running...

2011 Samsung SM5 (korean car)

Stock head unit.

1 Diamond D661s front mid/tweeter component.

1 13" JL sub in the back.

1 4ch Eclipse amp.

I still have the rear stock speakers running off the HU.. the power wattage level is so minimal that I dont really need to completely disconnect them.

My system sounds A LOTTTTT better than the stock. I was leaning more towards SQ and pretty much nailed it. One regret if I had to knitpick was not going for a more polished component speakers. I wish I could have got the Eton Pro 170 series instead. Even tho the Diamond series has very nice crisp highs and a very deep mid bass tone to it.. the SQ overall lacks a warm sound I was seeking.

I really do recommend you get atleast 1 8" sub in the rear to compliment your component speakers. And I also hope you take your time finding the perfect set of components for you... or else you won't be completely satisfied your decision kinda like me.

Regardless.. good luck with your

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.