New Timer, How do I hook up a HU?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ClearSights
10+ year member

Hello, I am just starting my first car audio project on my first car. I just got a 2003 Pontiac Gram Am GT.

I didn't like the stock HU so I went and searched forums and online for the best HU and I came to this one....

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X693

I also read that I need this stuff to go with it so I also have these....

RADIO INSTALL MOUNTING KIT GMK420

40-GM10 Antenna Adapter ( For the Radio )

New Metra LC-GMRC-01 GM Class 2 Data Bus Interface ( For the Chime )

I have already purchased everything but it is not here yet but I would like to know how to set it up before I get everything....

So where do I start putting in a new HU?

Apparently there is a lot to it. I have to get some sort of box for my aftermarket head unit because the radio is tied into the computer. I haven't put a radio in a car in years, I used to do it for my dad when I was a kid and you could just put them in, but now I let a pro do it.

To give you an idea, one of my buddies, who has 20 years experience in car audio installation, put headrest screens in a new Escalade. When he put the last screw in the last seat to go back into the vehicle, every airbag in the Escalade and all the seatbelt tensioners fired, for no apparent reason. Keep in mind, this guy knows what he is doing. Beat him up pretty bad, Cadillac tried to come up with an excuse for a couple of weeks, then covered the bill. If I remember right it did like 8k in damage, it may have been more than that... the 8k may have been in a Challenger like mine when they first came out and nobody knew anything about them.

I'm sure somebody will chime in with an answer, but I can't afford a mistake I'd have to eat. I'm gonna let a pro with insurance take care of all my installation. If I screwed something up I'd be stuck with a car I couldn't drive, for a long time. Cheaper to do it right the first time, especially in my case where a week worth of nights is gonna cost me a few cases of beer lol.

Just plug in the adapter into the factory car harness and wire the wires accordingly to the radio. Not hard at all.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.