New Speakers for Hyundai Veloster

desastrux
10+ year member

Atlanta
hey everyone, so I am going to get a 2012 Hyundai Veloster this summer, and am going to replace the current 8-Speaker Dimension sound system in it. I am going to replace the current sub, and get an amp.

But what I am wondering here is what kind of speakers I should get? I don't necessarily have to replace all the speakers, but I want it to sound real nice. I prefer SQ over SPL.

Just wondering what all suggestions you guys have.

If you have to ask those questions then perhaps you will find yourself satisfied with the current setup. I have heard some semi impressive stock hyundai stereos.

In short though, the important speakers are up front that is your tweeters and mid basses in the doors. then a lil subby fill. Step one is to get a nice deck, but I dunno if they even make dash kits for that car yet.

If you have to ask those questions then perhaps you will find yourself satisfied with the current setup. I have heard some semi impressive stock hyundai stereos.
In short though, the important speakers are up front that is your tweeters and mid basses in the doors. then a lil subby fill. Step one is to get a nice deck, but I dunno if they even make dash kits for that car yet.
What do you mean by deck? If you are talking about head unit, it comes with a 7" touchscreen with navigation.

I didn't exactly mean which speakers I should replace, but I was talking about what brands are good. What are some good SQ speakers.

What do you mean by deck? If you are talking about head unit, it comes with a 7" touchscreen with navigation.
I didn't exactly mean which speakers I should replace, but I was talking about what brands are good. What are some good SQ speakers.
Brands are important but the install is more important. If you want to start making that car sound better I suggest getting some sound deadener laid. Most likely your speakers will be made from special pods which are rivetted into the door.

Also you will not easily be able to install aftermarket equipment with a sound quality improvement if you dont change the head unit. You can use a line output converter but those are sloppy.

You just asked a question that is as broad as the wide side of a barn. Give us a reasonable budget or plan of attack or you wont get much help. That's like going to a restaurant and asking what's good. 200 things on the menu and they are all good to different people and applications. If you plan to continue this thread gimme some specifics to work with. Also I have warned you, that car will probably be a pita.

well most factory NAVI units arent too bad. but the amonut of work required to put a new one in, and bypass the factory amps, and all that goodies might be more work than what you can handle. id reccomend simply listenting to what it is first, if you are truely unsastified with it, then you can do some work.

Dash kits are probably not available for that car yet, so you may not be able to put in an alternative stereo like nateberrier said.

Additionally if you cant, getting and audio Pac/lp2 controller is probably available where you can run an amp.

I am not getting it because I want the audio upgrade. I am getting it for the NAVI unit, the panoramic sunroof, and everything else that comes with the style/tech packages. It just happens to have an upgraded sound system in those packages.

At this point I am just going to replace the sub and the amp probably, and keep the stock speakers.

Meh, I'd ask if there's any way to get the stuff without the upgraded audio system. For the price of that Navi unit and other audio crap, you could build one VERY VERY nice system.

EDIT: Yea, just looked it up. You can get the Style and Tech packages separately. The Style package I would get. The Tech package is another $2k, and with that it includes a mediocre sound system, remote entry, some alloy wheels, back-up sensors (really annoying and entirely unnecessary with the rear camera). You could definitely spend your own $2k and match this stuff easily, if not get much better equipment.

They tried to sell me my honda with Navi in it for an extra 2k or the XM radio for 400 extra and I Just laughed at them. When I went back in for service they said changed your mind eh? And I said no, I spend 400 and got xm/nav, and saved 1500

In my opinion, the new speakers is that last thing you need to worry about. First, install a good factory integration processor and a subwoofer. JBL MS-8 is a good choice because it can tune time alignment and frequency response of your speakers to the acoustics of your car. This alone can make your speakers sound better than expensive speakers with no good processor. It also has its built in amplifiers (weak, but good enough for factory speakers) and surround sound implementation with support for rear channel speakers and center channel speaker, if you have it. I'd say install a JBL MS-8, subwoofer, and subwoofer amplifier first. If you're not happy, upgrade your speakers and amplifier later, and sound proof your doors.

Some of the really good speaker brands are Focal, Hertz, Hybrid Audio, Morel and many others. While mainstream brands like Alpine and JL Audio, etc, are decent, that's a high end product in their line up, is usually merely of entry level quality by the standards of say Hertz or HAT.

Step one is to get a nice deck, but I dunno if they even make dash kits for that car yet.

Replacing the stereo deck is so one decade ago. In a lot of cars, it's near impossible to replace the front deck. And besides, there is often nothing wrong with it, if it has navi, bluetooth, etc built in. These days, a better idea is often to add a good factory integration processor.

They tried to sell me my honda with Navi in it for an extra 2k or the XM radio for 400 extra and I Just laughed at them. When I went back in for service they said changed your mind eh? And I said no, I spend 400 and got xm/nav, and saved 1500
I think these days going with a "premium" technology package usually adds a bit more than navi. Expect better and more speakers, surround sound, etc. It depends on the make though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.