New Member Needs Help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Cuyler

Hi, I just joined in the hopes that someone can help. I have a motorhome that I have been upgrading. I installed a new head unit last year, a JVC KD-X50BT, it is connected to 2 two channel Sony 2020 amps with RCA plugs, "pre amp plugs?" It worked fine on our last trip, but on the way home, it just quit producing sound. The head unit still lights up and locks onto channels, or iPod, tells me what song is playing and all that. I knew I needed new speakers so I replaced all of them with 2 Pioneer 6.5inch and 2 5.5inch speakers, I was pretty sure that this wouldn't fix it but I needed the speakers anyway. I have checked the connections and they all seem fine, however one of the amps seems warm to the touch and the other is cold to the touch. I unscrewed the one amp to be able to better check connections, the warm one, and when I moved the connections I got some static noise out of the front speakers, when I do the same with the cold amp, I get no static noise. I am guessing one of the amps is not working but I do not know how to tell for sure, and even if it was just one, wouldn't the other set of speakers still work? I tried to search but did not come up with anything, I hope one of y'all will be able to help, I got to drive it from Fl. to Tx. and the thought of no tunes is killing me.

I found a Blown fuse inline, it was not easy to get to, so I relocated it to a more user friendly location. powered it back up and the amp started smoking, disconnected power. I still don't understand how one amp out would cause all sound loss, I'm beginning to wonder if when the amp went, it took the head unit outputs with it?

If you had the rca's from the head unit going to the first amps inputs and then out from that amp to the second amps inputs then maybe that's why the second amp that works wasn't producing sound?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.