New box questions as my last design was pitiful :(

Participant count
  • Participant list

F150Matt
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ok remember that big ported box I posted on here a while back? Well I couldnt get that slant and point that goes up to seal off correctly so this time I"m gonna go with a more rectangular size box. I have measured and I believe I can get up to about 5ft^3 and stay under my back glass with it this way I could leave it in there all the time. My question is...I have a bench seat. The head rest on the passenger side and the driver side stick up higher thanthe center of the seat. Would it be possible to have a slot port that actually comes out of the box and does a 90 to where it sticks up right over this center piece? Does the port have to actually be flush with the box and not stick out? I'm thinking something like this....I hope u at least get a general idea. Would it work?

________

[________ ]

[ ]

[-----[ ] --------]

[ ]

[ ]

[ ]

[_________________]

this would allow me to not loose box internal volume by port displacement. Wouldn't this have the same affect as if the port were actually inside of the box or no?

that didn't work and I'm at school right now and can't get a small enough file to upload. I'll do it when i get home. I think u guys get the general idea though....make a rectangular box with a a port that starts inside the box but comes on out the top of it and 90's towards the dash. Let me know if this is possible.

What type of speakers are you looking to use in this setup and why do you feel a need to go ported? You can come up with a good sealed box and get a cleaner bass and not have to sit and work out parameters for a port etc.....Hell if you give me the dimensions for the whole area you are wanting to enclose I could even give you a spec box for whichever speaker you are looking at setting up.

By the way it is possible to run the port like that, However you will probaly end up with too long of a port design and hence a muddy or feathery sound that you do not want to hear.

Hey, I have solo baric L7 12's. I dont like the SPL performance in a sealed box. I'm competing now and I need some more pressure. If I measure out the port length correctly it wouldn't be too long. Let me know.

So long as it is measured out properly it should be fine tho why do you want it angled toward you? Why nt just measure it straight up and flush with thetop of the box?

well wouldn't it be best for the port to fire towards the dash? Wouldn't that give more pressure on the dash? I could fire it up and may end up doing that because it would simplify the box building process. Has anyone on here ever used the middle or smaller ported box designs that kicker recommends for the solo barics? I want to add another JBL1200.1 soon and run one per sub. I have dual 2 ohm VCs so I will wire it for 4 ohms most of the time and run each amp at one ohm for competition purposes. What do you think of that idea? I know it isn't too much power. The guy at my kicker dealer runs about 1500 watts to the 15's per sub all the time.

ok by angling the port in that direction no it will not create more pressure on the dash. If anything it will keep the back of your head a bit more cool tho. LOL As far as the set-up it sounds like you got a good plan and I would say roll with it. Unfortunately I have not delt with the solobarics much at all because of personal preference I just do not use kicker. You can always check out their web site tho I am sure for specs and maybe even frequency response curves based on box size etc..

I went outside and measured my truck...I think if I only scoot my seat one click up from where it is I can fit a 57''x8''x26'' box. And it'll be tall enough to run the ports flush with the outside of the top of the box. I also think I'm going to divide this box and have two ports. I let u guys know when I start building it.

With it being a ported box design you really do not want the subs sharing an enclosure. It takes much more than the average calculation to ensure then that you have aproper port setting and air space. I would definately suggest dividing it out since you are porting it. If you are going to spend the time to do it might as well do it right! ANy other questions or even when your done post and let us know how it turns out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.