new box builder

albarran9
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
AR
i'm about to build my first box. what can i use to hold my box together? i was thining of some gule or maybe some screws on the corners of the box, but i dont know what kind. i will be using 3/4 mdf and if you could please tell me of a good gule to use or some thing that is found at a lowes or home dept that would be great.

definately use wood glue or gorilla glue. the glue is the actual key piece in holding the wood together --you can use screws just to add to the strength or to hold the wood together while drys.

I just built that same box. I used drywall screws and liquid nails and it works fine. It cost me 28$ total to build it.

Beware Home Depot doesn't make accurate cuts. You'll be pleased how your mtx shines in that box.

I just built that same box. I used drywall screws and liquid nails and it works fine. It cost me 28$ total to build it.
Beware Home Depot doesn't make accurate cuts. You'll be pleased how your mtx shines in that box.
I hope i dose. are you talking about the quick nails silicon or is there glue?

thanks guys i just wanted to make sure that i didnt mess up the box so i can get the best out of my sub.

I actually prefer TiteBond wood glue over most any other wood glue. It's cheaper than gorilla glue, but I think it works just as well. Also, a brad nailer that can shoot 18 gauge 1 1/2" brad nails is defiinitely the way to go. You'll say yourself alot of time. There is no predrilling and screwing screws, just aim and fire.

listen, when you screw this together, stay at least 3 inches away from the edges, mdf has a tendency to split in the corners of the end peice you are screwing to. Also if you want a nice clean finish predrill the first piece a little larger than the screw it self and counter sink it. Home depot and lowes have bounter sink combos bits that will do this in one step, the are around $12

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.