New BIKE!!!

and back to zero...in what...8?
probably a tick under 8. the stopping power is ridiculous when driving something with 4 wheel disc that weighs 400 lbs with me in it. this thing stops like crazy compared to every other 125 i have driven. my last trackmagic had the exact same brake setup on it, but with a floating rotor, where the cts has a stationary rotor and a full floating caliper mount, on a bearing, flexes with the chassis to avoid brake drag around a corner. anyway, it still stops way harder than the trackmagic with about 65% rear 35% front, which leads me to believe that its in the chassis.

2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i with a Viper pipe

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif :veryhapp: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif :veryhapp: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif
how good of a deal did you get on it? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

how good of a deal did you get on it? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

$3500 and it only has 5500 miles on it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif

my one advice is, if you are going to put something on your head, go with nothing but the best. and hjc's are not the best. i have been in motorsports for over 10 years, to this day i wont stick anything but a simpson or a bell on my head.

I race with arei forced to from my sponser and ID RATHER HAVE AN HJC on my lid.. Ahelmet is only there to do 4 main things ease the impact in a crash not stop it, help aerodynamics out, stop the lovely sudden rain storm from screwin yer riddin tech. and lastly end the bugs life befor it touches eye/head.

HJC, SCHOEI, AGV call it what you want look for one thing on any SNELL 95 thats the ticket to a good start from there its just mines got more feature or mines pretty

just my .02 worthless cents

Good start though, safe, affordable, and easy to fix cant go wrong with that!

Look into gloves, jacket, good boots, and a brain bucket at min everyday gear.

O D I E

current bikes

06 Daytona 675

02 Daytonna 955i (centineal)

Past bikes over 14 others and most sold to get to where I am at, have owned em all from zx's to a 999R and still finding the brits are hard to beat

Its one thing to TRIUMPH over the competion its another to be BIKE OF THE YEAR, in you debut.

I race with arei forced to from my sponser and ID RATHER HAVE AN HJC on my lid.. Ahelmet is only there to do 4 main things ease the impact in a crash not stop it, help aerodynamics out, stop the lovely sudden rain storm from screwin yer riddin tech. and lastly end the bugs life befor it touches eye/head.
HJC, SCHOEI, AGV call it what you want look for one thing on any SNELL 95 thats the ticket to a good start from there its just mines got more feature or mines pretty

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

snell 95 is a rating that was outdated in 98. snell 98, 2000, and 2006 are newer and improved versions due to harsher requirements. hjc over an arei, wtf is wrong with you?

Ya seriously man, you make it sound like you have all these years of experience and you have been sponsored in motorsports, maybe you have...

Hey Bri think of it as someone who has been in Car Audio for 15years, and wont run anything but Audiobahn and Rockford....thats how I cope with it...there are just people out there.

P.S the 675 is a swheeeet lil thing.

About the helmet thing, give the Blowin' the Lid Off" article in the June '05 issue of Motorcyclist a read. They did a bunch of objective testing on the actual protection from G-shocks provided by a bunch of helmets in various types of impacts. Their results were pretty conclusive. If the helmet had a Snell rating IT survived better in an impact but allowed MUCH more energy to be delivered to your cranium. Don't know about you, but I don't care how the helmet looks after the crash, it's my nugget that I care about. The helmets that absorbed the most energy, what you want a helmet to do, were "only" DOT rated

They said point blank the a Snell rating was not much more than a selling tool. quote from a person in the helmet making industry from the article "When you build a helmet for this market, meeting the Snell standard is your first, second, third, fourth and fifth concern. You can then start desinging a helmet that's safe."

Their basic conclusion was that the liner material that is supposed to absorb the energy of an impact in Snell rated helmets is so stiff in order to meet Snell standards that it does a poor job of really protecting your head from the actual impacts that you are more likely to encounter in a real accident rather than some 150mph head-first run into a brick wall. The Snell standards are not and have never been based on actual accident data and while they got the industry headed in the direction of standards for helmets (and not just for motorcycles) they do not really mean anything from a protection standpoint.

Best performing helmet was the ZR1 ZRP-1 which is DOT only and outperformed all the Snell helmets by almost 20%.

On a side note, I love Triumphs, too. My Speed Four is sadly in the shop right now ofter hitting a slick spot of pavement in front of my house. Front end washed out at around 10-15 mph and laid it down on the left side. Still waiting on the insurance company to get back to me on the damage. Nothing but a skinned knee for me through the jeans (not even a scuff in the denim). Been thinking about trading it in on a 675...

^^^ **** you!!! That's a pretty good price if it's in good condition

its in perfect condition, i dated (kinda) the guys daughter who i bought it from //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

About the helmet thing, give the Blowin' the Lid Off" article in the June '05 issue of Motorcyclist a read. They did a bunch of objective testing on the actual protection from G-shocks provided by a bunch of helmets in various types of impacts. Their results were pretty conclusive. If the helmet had a Snell rating IT survived better in an impact but allowed MUCH more energy to be delivered to your cranium. Don't know about you, but I don't care how the helmet looks after the crash, it's my nugget that I care about. The helmets that absorbed the most energy, what you want a helmet to do, were "only" DOT rated
They said point blank the a Snell rating was not much more than a selling tool. quote from a person in the helmet making industry from the article "When you build a helmet for this market, meeting the Snell standard is your first, second, third, fourth and fifth concern. You can then start desinging a helmet that's safe."

Their basic conclusion was that the liner material that is supposed to absorb the energy of an impact in Snell rated helmets is so stiff in order to meet Snell standards that it does a poor job of really protecting your head from the actual impacts that you are more likely to encounter in a real accident rather than some 150mph head-first run into a brick wall. The Snell standards are not and have never been based on actual accident data and while they got the industry headed in the direction of standards for helmets (and not just for motorcycles) they do not really mean anything from a protection standpoint.

Best performing helmet was the ZR1 ZRP-1 which is DOT only and outperformed all the Snell helmets by almost 20%.

On a side note, I love Triumphs, too. My Speed Four is sadly in the shop right now ofter hitting a slick spot of pavement in front of my house. Front end washed out at around 10-15 mph and laid it down on the left side. Still waiting on the insurance company to get back to me on the damage. Nothing but a skinned knee for me through the jeans (not even a scuff in the denim). Been thinking about trading it in on a 675...

thanks for the info, i'll look into it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thankyou.gif.5451126d09e870f796f50c3a4dd5acd7.gif

so i guess nascar, F1, IRL all get sold on a "selling tool". they have the resources to test and the funds to get whatever.

The type of impact seen in a wreck in NASCAR is totally different than what is typically seen in more than 99% of street motorcycle accidents. If you want to buy your street MC helmet based on the sub-1% of accidents (and usually head injuries are not your only concern in that 1% either) that have been studied and just take your chances with the most likely kind, then go right ahead. It's called getting the right tool for the job. I ride a motorcycle on the street and wear the helmet that protects me best against the greatest threat in my situation. If I was racing F-1 or CART or NASCAR I would get a helmet that is best suited for that. In that case it would probably be a Snell. Since I'm not, I don't care what is best for that situation and I don't base my purchase on what they use.

Street motorcycle accidents (according to numerous independent studies) almost never (less than 1%) involve a head impact more substantial than a fall from 7-8 feet. In those very few (1 out of more than 1000 accidents), the rider had other fatal injuries as well. Even if the helmet had provided perfect protection, read "no head injury at all," he still would have died. A Snell rated helmet will provide minimal protection in the street MC type impact because the liner material is to firm. It will not absorb much of the force at all. The DOT standard actually allows for a softer helmet that provides better energy absorbtion with lower energy impacts.

You go ahead and buy the helmet that provides the "best" protection for a wreck that you will never get into. I'll buy the helmet that protects me from the one that I am more likely to get into.

The magazine didn't have an axe to grind and neither did any of the people interviewed. Dr Hurt was consulted and basically wrote off the Snell rating for MC helmets. So did a former chairman of the Snell Memorial Foundation. As far as a street motorcycle helmet is concerned, the numbers used to quantify the Snell rating are totally arbitrary and have no real world basis. Again would you rather have a helmet that is superior because its marketing says so or one that actually protects your head better? More expensive may mean more comfortable and more aerodynamic and prettier, but that is all and in many cases (per an independent test that Motorcyclist lost a lot of advertising over, mind you) it means less real world protection.

The type of impact seen in a wreck in NASCAR is totally different than what is typically seen in more than 99% of street motorcycle accidents. If you want to buy your street MC helmet based on the sub-1% of accidents (and usually head injuries are not your only concern in that 1% either) that have been studied and just take your chances with the most likely kind, then go right ahead. It's called getting the right tool for the job. I ride a motorcycle on the street and wear the helmet that protects me best against the greatest threat in my situation. If I was racing F-1 or CART or NASCAR I would get a helmet that is best suited for that. In that case it would probably be a Snell. Since I'm not, I don't care what is best for that situation and I don't base my purchase on what they use.
Street motorcycle accidents (according to numerous independent studies) almost never (less than 1%) involve a head impact more substantial than a fall from 7-8 feet. In those very few (1 out of more than 1000 accidents), the rider had other fatal injuries as well. Even if the helmet had provided perfect protection, read "no head injury at all," he still would have died. A Snell rated helmet will provide minimal protection in the street MC type impact because the liner material is to firm. It will not absorb much of the force at all. The DOT standard actually allows for a softer helmet that provides better energy absorbtion with lower energy impacts.

You go ahead and buy the helmet that provides the "best" protection for a wreck that you will never get into. I'll buy the helmet that protects me from the one that I am more likely to get into.

The magazine didn't have an axe to grind and neither did any of the people interviewed. Dr Hurt was consulted and basically wrote off the Snell rating for MC helmets. So did a former chairman of the Snell Memorial Foundation. As far as a street motorcycle helmet is concerned, the numbers used to quantify the Snell rating are totally arbitrary and have no real world basis. Again would you rather have a helmet that is superior because its marketing says so or one that actually protects your head better? More expensive may mean more comfortable and more aerodynamic and prettier, but that is all and in many cases (per an independent test that Motorcyclist lost a lot of advertising over, mind you) it means less real world protection.
believe what you want. basing your entire belief on a motorcycle magazine is kind of ehh. we all know how accurate a bunch of journalists are, especially in magazines where advertisments are the direct cause of their bias. i highly doubt that the multi million dollar racing teams and leagues base their helmet choice/standards on a rating that is just a selling gimmick and according to you has no real world basis.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

benvaldi88

10+ year member
b-valdi
benvaldi88
Rochelle, IL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date