New Audio For BMW '94 740i? Suggestions?

Participant count
  • Participant list

segal3
10+ year member

Alright...I've finally decided to change out all the stock sound stuff in my BMW - and I stumbled upon this site. I was wondering if any of you people would be able to tell me the best sound system I could setup (subs (w/ enclosures), amps, component speakers, and/or head unit) for either $750, $1000, or $1500 in this car. ANY suggestions or help is greatly appreciated - this is a new field for me. I would probably prefer to get the subs/enclosure/mono amp package to start; the bass is pitifully weak in the car currently. I'm in Calabasas, CA 91302 (relatively close to Woodland Hills, Van Nuys, Malibu, Westlake, Thousand Oaks - you get the idea), if any of you have great systems in this area that you spent around the amount I'm looking to on, it'd be great to see it. That's about it. Feel free to email me at segal3@linkline.com if you'd rather not share your suggestions on this site. Thanks for any help.

~Matt Segal

always start from the source out..

start with a god HU..

then,move on to replacement speakers..

then amp them, then do the bass..

or swap the amp and the bass...

usually gives the best results,.,

Despite this...I find the component and head unit to be adequete at the least for now - that's why I was first looking for specific sub/amp systems if any could be suggested. I know the so-called "order" is being violated, but it's not as if it's harmful to any individual components (other than perhaps, my ears //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif). Thanks but maybe you could help me with the actual hardware?

~Matt Segal

hehehe sure, the only reason i suggest it taht way is taht it is much easier to get good quality sound froman aftermarket deck...

i still recommend getting a HU first, then going for it with a sub

what are you looking for from your sub, straight sound quality, or straigt bump, or a combincation?

Combination would probably be the best...I listen to a lot of music, varies through jazz, rap, hiphop, ska, alternative, classic rock, and metal - so over specializing in one area would probably be a bad idea - ideal to spread it out. Any ideas?

~Matt Segal

how mucha re you looking to spend on JSUT THE AMP AND SUB

forget enclosure, taht can be made :p

lol, jsut dont do prefab boxes, even get someone else to make it..

how much are you looking at?

heh, well, tehre is no answer to this setup, i know people who ahve spent a few grand and are still not happy with what they ahve, and people who spend 500 bucks and are blissfull...

whats the budget?

you could spend anywhere from 300 bucks or so and 1000 bucks..

on bass alone, lol.

I ahve heard really good things about the Adire audio product, especially the Brahama and the Shiva, (shiva being cheap, whitht eh brahama being expensive, both giving great sound...) and the RE line of products..

both offer great crossover sound, then of course tehre are the mainstream companies..

are you willing to buy off the net, or order liek that, or are you set in retail?

If I can find a local place that can do the install, or if the install is easy enough, then I have no problems ordering off the net - I know the prices are better. Of couse, if someone knows of a local place (or I suppose I could find one) that has good deals, then I also have no problem with that.

Budget...well..probably around 200-600...but more like 200-500 (would strech, but prefer not to).

~Matt Segal

500 bucks, easy to do..

JBL 600.1, less than 200 (180, 190)

and a pair of shiva's, 125 each, (i think)

total 400 bucks or so, dpeending on where youge thte JBL...

for the Shiva's, check out jlaine on here, authorized dealer, no shipping thru him...

Are the Shiva's 10s or 12s?

As well, do I need to run another battery in my trunk?

And where would I find an adequetely sized box?

~Matt Segal

you can get 10's or 12's, i would ge t12's, but thats me..

you can make em.. l ol.

ir get someone to make one...

ask jlaine what he recommends for those woofers..

(airspace)

and no, you will not need to run another battery, your electrical system should be ok

Anyone have any ideas on a headunit under $600? I was maybe looking at one of the blue-color Alpine ones...good/bad experiences?

~Matt Segal

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

segal3

10+ year member
segal3
Malibu, CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from