Bmw audio system headache

Participant count
  • Participant list

e39.Bo2saucy.1100

Huge fan of bmw cars e39 e34 e28 e32 e36
Hey guys, so I wanted to upgrade the head unit in my 1997 BMW 528i e39 project car. The car is a daily drivable track car basically. I drive it around a couple days of the week, and I take it to the track for some auto cross 1 to 2 times a month sometimes more! I have owned 3 of these e39 generation BMWs, but the other 2 had aftermarket head units already installed with the factory speakers and amp all working and sounding nice. The one I have now had a factory head unit with no Bluetooth and the speakers sounded crappy, especially with the tape deck aux cord, and even worse with the FM transmitter. So I bought a pretty good reviewed but unbranded eBay single din mp5 stereo head unit with a 4.1” touch screen. And I bought the stereo wiring harness adapter that has the 4 channel rca plugs for an amp. Problem is now that I have it in the car and threw away the old stereo, I found out my oem amplifier won’t work because my car has a 10 speaker audio system with a factory 10 channel amp! So every speaker has its own channel, and I’m not sure if you can wire everything down to 4 channels but even then that might blow the amp or cause other problems im sure. So I hope you guys can help me decide on what I should do, I have an idea of what i wanna do and you guys can tell me if what I’m planning will work and any easier ways to do something or any pointers, tips, or recommendations are all cool too.
So my plan here is to buy 4 kicker ds series 5.25 inch 2 way coaxial speakers 100 watts max/ 50 watts rms and put them in the front doors/rear deck. Eventually I am going to upgrade the front door to the kicker ks series 5.25 inch 2 way component speakers, but for now I can’t really afford that and can’t wait until I can afford them to have music back in my car. So yeah for now 4 kicker ds series components with 50 watts rms. And I’m planning on swapping out my oem amplifier and replacing it with a taramps ds300x4 amplifier with 65 watts x 4 channels @4 ohms. Is this too much power for the speakers? If it won’t work if you guys have any recommendations, I am looking for the cheapest 4 channel amp possible that will work with my speakers.

Look at Recoil components front and coaxials rear. Cheap solution.

The Taramps is fine, or Recoil, or blackbrick 100.4 for $69 shipped. More power too.

I'm sure your head unit has a built in 4 channel amp - they are usually like 22w x 4 RMS. So the cheapest option is to just buy some speaker wire (recoil 100' 16g ~$20) and buy the recoil speakers and wire them to the head unit. The cheaper Recoil speakers are designed as factory replacements and don't require much power (they're usually like 40w RMS depending on size).

I would strongly suggest you buy a component set for the front (the recoil is barely more expensive than the coaxial). Even on the cheap set, the tweeter is a silk dome (silk is generally preferred on cheap tweeters).

So you can have decent sound by buying speaker wire, rear coax, and front components for like $75.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...