New amp blew my sub, don’t know why

Idk I've always connected mine the other way and never had problems. Batt, ground and remote were first, then the RCAs then speaker wire.
The safest way is to do as I said, also if you read manuals, they will tell you the same thing, power is last. If you are experienced, sure hook it up in whatever order floats your boat, but seeing as how the OP is obviously newb, the best way to do things is the safest way. He can learn all the bad habits that us exprienced guys have after he knows how to do things the right way lol.

So even if I have the speaker wires were backwards and the rca wires were in wrong, the reason why (probably) the sub was blown was because the way I put the amp wires together?

So even if I have the speaker wires were backwards and the rca wires were in wrong, the reason why (probably) the sub was blown was because the way I put the amp wires together?

More than likely it was because you had the headunit and amp turned on when you plugged the rca's in. This probably caused some kind of surge/transient/ which may or may not have blown the amp, but apparently did blow the sub. Static could be to blame as well, if you were charged up as you plugged the rca in, that could have sent some electricity through the inputs and blown the input stage. Remember, even the smallest static spark can be thousands of volts, where your normal amp inputs don't like more than 8 or so volts. Point is, your inexperience/carelessness is most likely to blame here.

Simple way to put it you had the amp on, plugged in Rcas, it surged power to sub and more then likely blew it. Amp should be fine. But still check with a DMM. Plug everything in next time, then power on. Luckely Fi recones are pretty cheap

Okay no one has given you good advice yet do not listen to these clowns. ANYTIME YOU ARE CONNECTING OR DISCONNECTING THE POWER OR GROUND YOU SHOULD REMOVE THE INLINE FUSE AT YOUR BATTERY AND YOUR CAR SHOULD BE OFF! You are risking messing up all of your equipment if you do not do this.

Okay no one has given you good advice yet do not listen to these clowns. ANYTIME YOU ARE CONNECTING OR DISCONNECTING THE POWER OR GROUND YOU SHOULD REMOVE THE INLINE FUSE AT YOUR BATTERY AND YOUR CAR SHOULD BE OFF! You are risking messing up all of your equipment if you do not do this.
Fuse? Never heard of it!

No but good point. This also OP

Do you even know what you're talking about? Did you even read any of the responses in this thread? Reading>you

Do you even know what you're talking about? Did you even read any of the responses in this thread? Reading>you
Okay so IQ> than you. Yes I read the whole thing and at no time did anyone tell him that he should remove his fuse at the battery before he connects his equipment. This is the first thing you teach someone when you do this, it's easier to replace a fuse if something is wrong than your equipment. If you are going to help new people do not teach them the wrong way to do things.

Do you compete? Why would you risk setting your car on fire, maybe with you and your family in it? ALWAYS FUSE!
Lol yes I do, and its not a family car only I drive it. I trust my install to not fuse. If anything bad happens then it happens its my fault

Lol yes I do, and its not a family car only I drive it. I trust my install to not fuse. If anything bad happens then it happens its my fault
A buddy of mine got in an accident and did not fuse at the battery in the trunk and almost died and since then I always tell people to fuse. Most people really need to realize what they are dealing with before they try to do it on their own.

whats the difference between removing the the fuse near the battery and removing the battery ground?

whats the difference between removing the the fuse near the battery and removing the battery ground?
You are correct. So long as you have everything else hooked up before. Alot of times it is easier to connect the the fuse than the battery terminal, that is why I suggest to do it this way. when you know what you are doing you can cut corners but if you are ignorant, it is best to play it safe.

Powered up system, all hooked up except the signal cables, once applied you can easily obtain a big kick out of the output side to the drivers. Usually the kick you get isn't all too powerful, rather just a nice little bump. But, anything is possible, I suppose a signal kick could be powerful enough to blow a driver. But I've never seen any amplifier buck that hard tbh lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.