New 2din head unit, how much RAM is needed?

mast

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello guys, I'm looking for a head unit for my chevrolet spark 2015, and generally what I see as the main difference I believe between most head units, is the amount of RAM.

Internal storage, features, android version etc are also important I believe, but it would make sense to me that what makes the most difference is the RAM.

So as the question says, how much RAM is needed for an easy use? I'll probably only use bluetooth for music and also use waze for navigation sometimes, maybe do some other things like watching movies, but that's not really required.

I've been thinking mostly about 1-2 GB of RAM, but the difference in price is quite big between the 2, I'll also say that I'm not into spending too much about it, probably not more than 150-200$.

Came across this head unit: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2G-RAM-Android-7-1-Auto-Radio-Octa-Core-7Inch-2DIN-Universal-Car-NO-DVD-player/32809773695.html?

What do you think? Will that be good enough?

Thanks.

You havent been around the internet long obvs... Just asking. If that HU does everything you want, why not get it?
Oh I've been on the internet, way too long....I just don't see anything that makes someone think this post is fishy in any way.

So to the question of why not getting it, well....you tell me? I have zero knowledge about head units, obviously the reason I'm here.

It does have everything I want I believe, but so does this cheap head unit: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AMPrime-Universal-2-din-Car-Multimedia-Player-Autoradio-2din-Stereo-7-Touch-Screen-Video-MP5-Player/32862040213.html?

Not that cheap necessarily means that something is bad, but 256 mb of RAM feels really weak to me, so once again, I'm here to ask about that, will 256 mb RAM be enough? Maybe 512 or 1 GB ram will also be enough?

My sense is saying that 256 will be horrible, 512 will be meh, 1 GB will be ok, and 2 GB will be more than enough for me, but again, that's not the only parameter of a head unit.

Overall, I just want to get the cheapest head unit I can get that won't totally **** :)

Id say at least 1GB. As for your post, you first post linked to a chinese site that sells ****, under the guise of asking a question to which they dont care about a response, only traffic to that link. Thinly veiled spam usually. No offense meant.

Id say at least 1GB. As for your post, you first post linked to a chinese site that sells ****, under the guise of asking a question to which they dont care about a response, only traffic to that link. Thinly veiled spam usually. No offense meant.
The post linked to the head unit I was asking about..what are you talking about bruh? ^_^

Does the head unit I've sent looks decent to you? Do you have any thoughts about it?

Also, my current head unit size is different, which means I'll probably need to buy a new panel for that as well, thought about this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Double-Din-Audio-Fascia-for-CHEVROLET-Spark-M300-Radio-CD-GPS-DVD-Stereo-CD-Panel-Dash/32246526188.html?

Do you see any reason for it not to fit? Thanks.

Thoughts? Yes. Android ***** and that doesnt mean im an Apple fan. I dont know enough specifically about your car to say if any kit will fit or not. Id check with Crutchfield for fitment.

Thoughts? Yes. Android ***** and that doesnt mean im an Apple fan. I dont know enough specifically about your car to say if any kit will fit or not. Id check with Crutchfield for fitment.
That's really not helpful at all, but whatever...I've almost never seen a multimedia system which is not built on android, so it's really so irelevant.

Thanks anyway I guess.....

Do you think we all work as full time installers?
Really don't care about the second part, totally makes sense, but saying that android *****...well, that's really not relevant.

Anyways, there's probably no reason to continue this discussion, thanks.

You literally asked for my 'thoughts', up to that point i kept my opinion out of it. Just being honest with you. Would you rather i lie and get you stuck in something you dont like?

You literally asked for my 'thoughts', up to that point i kept my opinion out of it. Just being honest with you. Would you rather i lie and get you stuck in something you dont like?
It's like asking about a PC and replying with "windows xp *****". It's really not related to anything. So again, I really don't think this discussion will lead anywhere..

Well, theres the #1 rule of giving advice, people usually ignore it and do what they want.

To directly answer your question, too much RAM is not a thing. You will probably need a dash kit to install.

Well, theres the #1 rule of giving advice, people usually ignore it and do what they want.

To directly answer your question, too much RAM is not a thing. You will probably need a dash kit to install.
The only thing I want is a decent head unit, nothing less, nothing more. If the advice you're giving is "android *****", well thanks, amazing advice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.