New 2din head unit, how much RAM is needed?

Those headunits are notorious for having shitty DAC's and IC's throughout. RAM would be important if you used it almost strictly as an android device but when it comes to your standard headunit RAM is irrelevant due to the circuit being designed for one role. Those android headunits are buggy, output disgustingly distorted signals, and usually stop working in one way or another in the first 6-12 months. 

I recommend you get a brand name like kenwood, pioneer, sony, etc and if you want all the extra functionality of an android headunit you'll need to pay the premium for a name brand headunit that has it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Those headunits are notorious for having shitty DAC's and IC's throughout. RAM would be important if you used it almost strictly as an android device but when it comes to your standard headunit RAM is irrelevant due to the circuit being designed for one role. Those android headunits are buggy, output disgustingly distorted signals, and usually stop working in one way or another in the first 6-12 months. 

I recommend you get a brand name like kenwood, pioneer, sony, etc and if you want all the extra functionality of an android headunit you'll need to pay the premium for a name brand headunit that has it. 
Or do a tablet install instead.

Oh I've been on the internet, way too long....I just don't see anything that makes someone think this post is fishy in any way.

So to the question of why not getting it, well....you tell me? I have zero knowledge about head units, obviously the reason I'm here.

It does have everything I want I believe, but so does this cheap head unit: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AMPrime-Universal-2-din-Car-Multimedia-Player-Autoradio-2din-Stereo-7-Touch-Screen-Video-MP5-Player/32862040213.html?

Not that cheap necessarily means that something is bad, but 256 mb of RAM feels really weak to me, so once again, I'm here to ask about that, will 256 mb RAM be enough? Maybe 512 or 1 GB ram will also be enough?

My sense is saying that 256 will be horrible, 512 will be meh, 1 GB will be ok, and 2 GB will be more than enough for me, but again, that's not the only parameter of a head unit.

Overall, I just want to get the cheapest head unit I can get that won't totally **** :)
Let us give it to you straight buddy. You looking at garbage.     Android head units are pretty garbage even the highest tier ones for anything audio. However this is even bigger garbage than those head units just give you a comparison.   The processor the actual internal audio chip, actual 3 pairs of high pre-out voltage RCAs if you plan on adding any amps. Actual sound tuning functions etc are the important stuff.  Lets face it... the only thing anyone ever uses the head unit for while driving is listening to music/podcasts.   Which is why its better to choose a head unit without the stupid toys features and apps and focus more on something that actually sounds decent rather than pure straight garbage audio quality aka ALL of these android head units.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.