need wiring/setup advice to avoid electrical issues

Participant count
  • Participant list

mercmilan

CT
Hey I was hoping I could get some input on an amp wiring kit to ultimately avoid any problems with my car's electrical system:

The car is a 2007 Mercury Milan (premier, V6 Duratec, AWD) with stock everything. I couldn't find the alternator output anywhere online but I'm hoping its more than my '97 Saab 900s which suffered dimming issues just by powering a weak pioneer amp and a cheap sub.

My setup is already a Dual XHD7714 for the head unit and some Kicker KS60 speakers in the rear doors which will be powered off of the Dual. In the next two weeks I plan to purchase and install an MB Quart ONX4.125 amplifier to power a pair of components in the front doors (off channels 1/2) and then run a 10" SSA DCON svc off channels 3/4 bridged. I will be building a ported box for the sub, the design of which was on SSA's website.

My concern is primarily the fact that the MB quart has three 35A fuses, which appears to be a massive amount and I've read elsewhere that any amp with a draw of over 60A can cause electrical issues to a car's stock electrical system. Any input on this? I want to avoid having to do a Big 3 upgrade for now but DO NOT want to live with headlight dimming, alternator whine, the sub cutting out or anything whatsoever. All I want with this build is to effortlessly power my sub at impressive levels without having to constantly worry about the car.

Lastly, what wiring kit should I purchase? People seem to like the KnuKonceptz kits, and I would be willing to shell out $30 for the KLM 4awg version however it is only rated for amplifiers with under 80A fuses. I do not want to spend $72 on the kollusus version..thoughts?

Thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.